How do I customize my screen?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Timzer, Nov 10, 2011.

1. Timzer macrumors 6502

So I bought my first smartphone about a month back, an iPhone 4. It's a great phone, but I would really like to change the way the screen looks. A co-worker showed me his phone and I want to set up my phone like his. He has a lockscreen and then he has a seperate home screen when he unlocks his phone. His locks screens are incredibly stylish which is the look I want for my phone. He sent me screen shots of a few of his lockscreens. This is the look I want. I would appreciate if anyone can tell me how to do this on my phone.

Attached Files:

2. TM WAZZA macrumors 68000

3. Timzer thread starter macrumors 6502

Here's a few more.

Attached Files:

• 2.png
      2.png
      File size:
      351.9 KB
      Views:
  4. Timzer, Nov 10, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2011

Timzer thread starter macrumors 6502

and one more.

Attached Files:

• 3.png
      3.png
      File size:
      109 KB
      Views:
  5. Timzer thread starter macrumors 6502

Now I don't want to do any hacking to my phone. He didn't do anything special with his phone, as he just used an app. He has an HTC model, not sure which one. But he said I should have something similar from Apple to customize my phone the same way. I'm completely new to this stuff. So I was hoping someone could point me to the right app that can do this. Thanks.

6. Frasern1 macrumors 6502a

You are going to have to jailbreak with your iPhone. I had a HTC device and I didn't have that kind of customization without out rooting it, I think he might be yanking your chain.

7. walie macrumors 6502a

no want hacking/jailbreaking = no get customizations

----------

looks like its just widgetlocker with a custom slider theme, no rooting required

8. Timzer thread starter macrumors 6502

Sorry I have no clue what rooting it means. So definitely not going to try to root my phone. But I know he definitely didn't do anything to it. He is as ignorant as I am with this stuff. :p
    He told me the app he used is called widgetlocker. I couldn't find that app in the app store. So I'm guessing its probably renamed or rebranded under another name in the app store for legal reason as usual.

9. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

There is NO iPhone app that will do this with your unjailbroken phone
    It WILL require a jailbreak, plain and simple

And you will likely still not get those screens

10. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

Apple doesn't allow customization beyond changing the wallpaper and rearranging icons in iOS. Android is totally different, which allows full customization.

Jailbreaking is the only option. But even then it won't be the same as widgetlocker.

11. Timzer thread starter macrumors 6502

So can I just take it back to the Apple store and get them to do the rooting for me? And how much can this end up costing for that procedure?

12. jkim3691 macrumors 6502a

You don't root iPhones. You have to JAILBREAK the phone to get different themes. Even after that, you have to have a good grip on some basic HTML to make things work.

The Apple store will never jailbreak your phone for you. Anyways the procedure is too easy to ask someone else to do it.

13. Timzer thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok so can the Apple store do the jailbreak process for me? It definitely sounds like something that is way over my head.

14. jkim3691 macrumors 6502a

Read what I wrote.

15. tehdee macrumors member

you just have to be persistent and they will. usually they dont like to jailbreak the phones as it takes about two people to hold the phone down long enough to apply the fix, but you should speak to a manager. they have the authority to push through the request. :D

16. Hankster, Nov 10, 2011

Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

The Apple store will not jailbreak your iPhone. It's not supported by Apple. People do it because they can, but it is not approved by Apple. If you jailbreak your phone you will void the warranty and you will not receive any support from Apple.

If you want to jailbreak your phone just Google "jailbreak iPhone". The instructions are simple enough.

Basically, what you're asking to do is hack into the iPhone and change the way it present information. Apple does not allow this in its iPhone. Your friend is running a different operating system that allows for "full customization". If you're dead bent on getting whatever interface you saw, you will need to change phones.

17. jkim3691 macrumors 6502a

Jailbreaking is NOT illegal. That issue was settled a while back.

18. Timzer thread starter macrumors 6502

You know, the second I saw my coworker's phone screen, I just loved how he had a wallpaper for his lockscreen, and then a more personal wallpaper of him and his family as his wallpaper for his homescreen. I just thought that was really cool. And the lockscreen wallpaper looked so stylish it caught my eye immediately. My screen looks so boring in comparison. And then thinking that he did it with only just an app I thought for sure my phone could do the same. Now hearing that I need to do something out of the ordinary for something he did with just an app kind of leaves me feeling a bit taken back as I spent a lot more for my phone than he did. :eek:

19. Frasern1 macrumors 6502a

You can easily put a different wallpaper as your lock screen and as your home screen. Open up a photo press the little arrow coming out of a rectangle in the lower left corner and click use as wallpaper, than click set and click either lock screen home screen or both.

20. TheiPhoneChick macrumors 6502

TheiPhoneChick

HTC makes Windows OS and Android phones. Widget locker is an Android app that allows customizations of your lockscreens and does not require rooting. iPhones do not have the app capability. In order to do somehting like this to an iPhone you have to jailbreak your phone. The apple stores WILL NOT jailbreak your phone, it is against their policy. You will have to find someone on the outside to do it for you.

Your friend has a different phone with a different operating system so it is not possible for you to get the same look without jailbreaking. I hope I explained it well enough for you. ;)

21. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

and your coworker didn't tell you that the only way to do this was to jailbreak it?

22. Timzer thread starter macrumors 6502

Got it. Thanks.
    I'm Just a little surprised that something so basic like customizing a screen is not possible with an app. I was amazed at the level of personalization he was able to do with his lockscreens and homescreens. He was able to chose his clocks, weather icons that he could have update automatically or manually, even the look of his email, sms, caller notifications, etc.. He was even able to change the locker slider to match the style he was going for. I was instantly impressed, which is why I am now so disappointed to hear I cannot do the same with a phone that is much more expensive than his.

And there is no way I will modify my phone in anyway that goes against Apple policy and that will void my warranty. Apple obviously doesn't want people to do such a thing, so it must obviously be bad for the phone. Not sure why anyone would do this.

23. andymac2210 macrumors regular

Lmfao, this guy MUST be trolling.

"take it to apple to jailbreak it", hahahahahaha. :D

24. Timzer, Nov 10, 2011

Timzer thread starter macrumors 6502

It was just a question. I'm Not sure why you think it's funny. I think if you go out and ask the average person what that is, they won't have a clue.

25. andymac2210 macrumors regular

Only if that average person is one of the non average people who doesnt have internet and the ability to use google.

And doesn't do any research whatsoever before buying a $500 (or whatever it costs in america) phone.