How do I download OS X Lion in OS X Lion?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by Meanie, Jul 20, 2011.

1. Meanie macrumors newbie

The title may sound stupid but I'm being serious. I wan't to do a clean install and for that I need to make a install DVD. I know your supposed to be able to do a clean install without a DVD but that won't work for me since my discs won't dismount when trying to erase them through Disk Utility. I've also lost my SL disc

Thanks in advance!

2. Meanie thread starter macrumors newbie

Solved the problem by Option(alt) clicking on the greyed out install button. It might take some time and it didn't work the first time. Even had to restart the App store but all of a sudden it started downloading.

Have fun in Lion everyone!

3. Tex-Twil macrumors 68020

Tex-Twil

that doesn't work for me.

4. Tex-Twil macrumors 68020

Tex-Twil

please how do I redownload it ? I opt+click on the "installed" icon in "Purschased" section of the App Store but it does not work.

5. kate9 macrumors newbie

hold option when lauching app store, keep holding and find lion and click "installed" then let go

u must not have the older install os x lion app anywhere on your computer or attached external drives. if you do, unplug the drive

6. Tex-Twil macrumors 68020

Tex-Twil

ok. lauching app store with opt works.

thanks

7. AFPoster macrumors 65816

I've already install Lion (day 2 of having it) and I held opt + open App Store, then purchases clicked Install OS X Lion and it is, amazing!!! Once it finishes installing I'll create the boot disc and then a fresh install.

8. Daniel97 macrumors 6502a

great thanks for this .. I'm now redownloading

i have 2 other machines to instal on which are not mine though ...

once i instal on another machine will it delete itself again?

9. AFPoster macrumors 65816

Just create a boot disc of OS X Lion and you'll be fine to install on all of your Mac's.

10. HawaiiMacAddict macrumors 6502a

You will not be able to create a boot disk after installation unless you download Lion again. The boot disc is most easily created after the download, but before the installation, as the files needed to create the boot disc are deleted upon installation of Lion.

As AFPoster pointed out, once you have the boot disc created, you can then "sneaker-ware" it to the other Macs you control for install, then when you subsequently fire up MAS on those Macs and sign in with your AppleID, you will see Lion in your Purchases section as already installed.

11. Daniel97 macrumors 6502a

I have downloaded it and copied the file to an external HD on a 4GB partition - does this make it a boot drive?