How do I export my iMessage conversations to my macbook before iPhone reset?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by user-name-here, Sep 26, 2013.

1. user-name-here macrumors 65816

Anyone know of a good free solution?

I'd like to reset my iPhone but don't want to lose my text message conversations.

What is an easy+free solution to export iPhone text conversations to your computer?

Thanks for your help.

2. ethereal45 macrumors regular

If you do a backup to iTunes on your computer or via iCloud then restore your phone after you're reset it everything will be intact.

3. user-name-here thread starter macrumors 65816

Thank you for the reply but I don't want to restore, I want to wipe my phone completely clean and keep my old message conversations on my computer.

Do you know of any other way I could export my SMS conversations to my computer?

4. NY Guitarist macrumors 65816

NY Guitarist

I'm looking into this also.

I'd been collaborating with people remotely and often our ideas get shared imessage. I'd like to be able to export all these conversations and import them into their respective projects as text files.

Any way to do this in iOS7 or from an iTunes backup?

5. whtrbt7 macrumors 6502a

There's a way to extract them out of the backup. It's like a parser for just the messages. Unfortunately, the best method to retain conversations is still e-mail. I wish Apple would make the backups have selective restores like on OSX. The link below is 3rd party software to do this but I haven't used it.

http://www.wideanglesoftware.com/touchcopy/index.php

6. AppleFan360 macrumors 68020

There are plenty of options out there. The good ones are just not free. If you are not willing to pay, it won't be easy.

7. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

There is also an app (paid) called PhoneView which will extract all of your data for you too.

8. NY Guitarist macrumors 65816

NY Guitarist

How to export iMessage files?

I've been collaborating with people remotely and often our ideas get shared via iMessage sessions. I'd like to be able to export all these conversations and import them into their respective projects, often multiple conversations into a single project.

I see there are a few apps out there with this capability but I really don't want to have each of us involved in these projects spend $30-$40 just to be able to export from iMessages.

I use iFunBox to manage my iPhone but can't find iMessage files that way. Is there any way to do this in iOS7 or is there a no/low cost app that will do this?

9. NY Guitarist macrumors 65816

NY Guitarist

Oops, I just started a new thread.

I'll look into the paid options, although I was hoping for simple and free utility app.