How do I find out what artist I have the most songs by on iTunes?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by cliko, Jul 21, 2010.

1. cliko macrumors newbie

2. creator2456 macrumors 68000

creator2456

3. cliko thread starter macrumors newbie

lol, i could do that but that would take quite a while... thanks anyway!

4. nutman macrumors regular

make a smart playlist and have it sort by artist. it will tell you how many songs there are at the bottom.

5. nagromme macrumors G5

nagromme

Quick-and-dirty way to estimate, on Mac: by folder size. Open your iTunes library folder in the Finder (by default it’s in your home folder within Music). Every artist will have a folder. View as List and sort the list by Size. (Don’t forget, in View > View Options, to turn on Calculate All Sizes. Turn it off when done because calculating every folder’s size is normally a waste of the computer’s time :) )

That’s not going to tell you who has the most songs, but rather the most megabytes. Still, if all your songs are in similar bitrate/format, and similar length on average, then it’s a way to roughly see your top few artists.

(Also—within iTunes: if you have sorted by Artist, you can click the first song by a certain artist, shift-click the last, and you’ll see a count of only the selected songs at the bottom of the window.)

6. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

You could combine these two methods. After finding the artist with the most songs, just right click info their folder and it will tell you how many songs (files) you have

7. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

I use this app called itunes statistician

edit: whoops, does not count songs by artist but rather play counts

still cool though

8. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

That doesn’t seem to do what the OP wants, unless it does more than what the description says.

Edit: Saw your edit. :)

9. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

true, reflected in my edit lol

10. nagromme macrumors G5

nagromme

Good idea. Check the top 5 or so artists (by MB) and then to find the REAL top artist, go back to iTunes count the songs for each artist. (Or use Finder—but it will count the album subfolders as items, adding a little bit of error.)

11. cliko thread starter macrumors newbie

thank you all of you! i combined all your methods. On another note, would anyone happen to know where i could find the original AIM sound effects? thanks!