How do I fix my US iTunes account's Negative Balance (from UK)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by KevinM2, May 23, 2010.

1. KevinM2 macrumors 6502

Firstly, sorry if this is in the wrong section. Please move it if necesary.

OK, I live in the UK, and set up a US iTunes account a while ago funded by my US virtual credit card, which seemed to work peferctly well up until about two weeks ago.

Now, iTunes tells me that I need to supply a US based funding source, so no major problem, I would simply use US iTunes cards in future.

However, the last batch of apps/songs I purchased appears not to have come off my virtual VISA card, but instead has put my iTunes account into a -$24.99 balance.

I would like to know the best way to clear this balance, so I can carry on using the account.

I tried adding a UK credit card, but it wouldn't accept it, again saying it wasn't US funded.

I set up a US PayPal account, with a US address, funded by a UK credit card. The PayPal account is fine. I can send/receive money from it, no problem, and currently have a $30 balance on it.

I then tried to use this US PayPal account to fund my US iTunes account, but again, it said the PayPal account needed to be funded from a US funded source. Even though it is a US PayPal account, with a US address, iTunes must still check the actual credit card associated with it and be smart enough to determine that the 16 digit number is not a US credit card number.

I even thought the $30 balance on the US PayPal account would be sufficient to clear the iTunes balance, but no, it still wants a US funded source to be linked to PayPal.

So, any suggestions on how to clear the negative balance on this account (from the UK) ?

What if I was to redeem a $25 US iTunes card against my account. Would that immediately get applied to the negative balance and clear it?

Hopefully, some iTunes guru will be able to give me a suggestion or two.

Thanks, and sorry for the long post, but I wanted to give as much info as possible as to what I have tried already.

Kevin.

2. KevinM2 thread starter macrumors 6502

Anyone got any thoughts? Should this thread maybe be in a different section?

Thanks.

3. Abyssgh0st macrumors 68000

Abyssgh0st

Is there a reason why you don't just create a new account? That negative balance will just sit there.

4. Givmeabrek macrumors 68030

Givmeabrek

Might be time to abandon the subterfuge and come clean. Just call tech support to find out how to straighten out this mess. Continuing to duck and dodge the rules and regulations is only going to get you in deeper. :mad:

5. KevinM2 thread starter macrumors 6502

I don't quite understand what you mean by subterfuge and come clean.

Having bought $300 worth of apps, I don't want to set up a new account and lose my updates for the apps I have already bought.

All I appear to have done wrong is set up a US iTunes account from the UK (which thousands of people have done, by the sound of things on here), and it has gone a little awry, and I am just trying to fix it legitimately by paying for what I have bought.

If this means I am operating under some kind of subterfuge or doing something that requires me to come clean, then I hadn't seen it that way.

Any helpful suggestions are welcome, but inferring I am some sort of crook is pointless.

I assume if I phone iTunes and tell them I live in the uk and have a us account, they will simply close it, then we both lose.

All I really want to know is if I redeem a $25 us iTunes card will that clear my negative balance on my account, which I will then fund with iTunes gift cards in future.

6. afd macrumors 6502a

I don't think coming clean will help. Apple will just say that you have to buy from the iTunes country that you are resident in. Al I would worry about is your existing content. If it still works, I would consider opening another US itunes account and sticking to buying US iTunes vouchers from as reputable dealer that you can find.
    I am in a similar situation in that I have a US account that has been locked because I bought a voucher from a dodgy seller, the voucher was bought with a stolen card. So only way of un-blocking my account is to validate a US address, which I can't do.
    So unless you are in and out of the US or have a friend there that is willing to buy vouchers for you, you are stuck with buying vouchers at a premium from ebay I think.

7. Tara Luvs Apple macrumors 6502a

You should be able to use an iTunes gift card from the United States to clear it up. I would try it, and if it still does not work, then I would call them to get it taken cared of.

8. Givmeabrek macrumors 68030

Givmeabrek

I have no reason to think you are a crook. You are trying to pay your bills and make it right. You have brought it to a public forum for direction. The fact is that you owe money. The only way to straighten it out is through iTunes support. Maybe they will let you pay with a US iTunes card??

I'm not sure why you would lose your apps or updates buy maybe you are right on that one. :confused:

9. KevinM2 thread starter macrumors 6502

I am going to buy a $25 iTunes card and apply that to my account and see if it clears the balance. The worst that can happen is I am down $25....Not exactly the end of the world :)