How do I get an AT&T Iphone 4S up and running on ST?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by deborahbeth, Sep 23, 2012.

1. deborahbeth macrumors newbie

I am waiting for my new (used) 4s. I have ordered my microsim and monthly plan from ST. I found a place to buy my factory unlock (ebay). Can somebody direct me to or explain how best to get this all going? I'm guessing I unlock first, then activate ST, but I've seen tutorials that say the SIM but be in the phone for the unlock. Thanks for your help.

2. forcetactic macrumors 6502

Just insert your sim and follow their instructions to activate. As long as your iphone is ATT, it can be used on straight talk even if it's locked

3. deborahbeth thread starter macrumors newbie

Correction

I meant "the SIM must be." Sorry. By the way, the phone is AT&T. I know it is not necessary to unlock it, but I want to.

----------

So should I first activate it on ST, then unlock? I bought a SIM for use in an unlocked phone. Was that a mistake? I will also want to port my phone number over to ST?

4. forcetactic macrumors 6502

It's not like your phone wouldn't unlock if you did it in a bad order. In order to unlock, the iPhone just needs to be restored AFTER an unlock request has been sent with any valid sim.

Best order would probably be to pay for unlock and in the downtime, insert your sim and activate/port your number from their website. After you receive signal, restore your phone and it will be unlocked (if the request were sent)

5. deborahbeth thread starter macrumors newbie

So will the microSIM meant for an unlocked GSM phone work on the unlocked AT&T phone, or should I try to change my order. I really appreciate your help.

Also, I need the IMEI number in order to start the unlock process, correct?

6. dave006 macrumors 68020

Your Micro-SIM will work on the iPhone 4S from AT&T, either locked or unlocked. ST uses AT&T's network so you can use an AT&T locked device on ST without any issue.

Yes, you will need the phone's IMEI number to request the unlock request.

Dave