Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tuker

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 12, 2005
i want to be able to boot from the ipod but it wont show up in that menu at all! i even tried carbon copy cloner and it still wont show up. how do i boot from my ipod on 10.2.8? thanks

James Philp

macrumors 65816
Mar 5, 2005
Oxford/London
Have you tried rebooting (with iPod attached) and holding down the option key as you do, and see if it comes up in the list?

P.S. You may wanna think about upgrading your OS - everything gets a bit easier if you are up to date.
P.P.S - The iPods aren't really intended for this - i remember reading that they require something special to be enabled as a bootable volume. A Google of "Boot from iPod" turned up this as the top result:
http://www.engadget.com/entry/8817137592535661/
I really wonder why people ask questions on a forum when google turns up the solution to 90% of the problems.

James Philp

macrumors 65816
Mar 5, 2005
Oxford/London
In fact, I'm going to quote from the site I posted above:
Warning…
Before we get started, we should warn you that doing this can and will use your iPod in a way it was not intended and may severely shorten the life of your iPod. The reason is that the little iPod hard drive wasn’t meant to be a full-time operating system drive. It’s okay to boot from it from time to time, but the little drives are rated to about 20,000 hours while desktop drives are usually rated to 750,000 hours or more. But, even with that said— the biggest reason thus will eventually kill your iPod is—the heat that will be generated inside the iPod from this much use isn’t what the iPod was designed for, so at some point you can and will fry your iPod.
You may want to re-think the whole thing.

Plymouthbreezer

macrumors 601
Feb 27, 2005
Massachusetts
I used my iPod for two months running the dev builds of Tiger, and it's still fine today. The key is to not run off the iPod for too long (30 min max, it gets really hot after that).

That site seems to have a longer way of doing so. By just placing your install disk of the OS (I don't believe that the disk that came with the computer will work, only a real OS disk) and rebooting under the installer will allow you to install the OS. Just be sure to choose to install on the volume iPod and not your hard drive. Once installed, reboot and hold option, which will allow you to pick what startup disk to use.

James Philp

macrumors 65816
Mar 5, 2005
Oxford/London
Plymouthbreezer said:
I used my iPod for two months running the dev builds of Tiger, and it's still fine today. The key is to not run off the iPod for too long (30 min max, it gets really hot after that).

That site seems to have a longer way of doing so. By just placing your install disk of the OS (I don't believe that the disk that came with the computer will work, only a real OS disk) and rebooting under the installer will allow you to install the OS. Just be sure to choose to install on the volume iPod and not your hard drive. Once installed, reboot and hold option, which will allow you to pick what startup disk to use.
Yeah, the method on that site did seem long winded to me too, but the risks are real, and I probably would only use my iPod like this in a REAL emergency. (As I have 2 Macs something would have to be seriously wrong!)
If I were to do this I would have done the method you described above.
Question:
Does this take away the actual functionality of iPod (I mean playing music that is!?).

tuker

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 12, 2005
James Philp said:
Have you tried rebooting (with iPod attached) and holding down the option key as you do, and see if it comes up in the list?

P.S. You may wanna think about upgrading your OS - everything gets a bit easier if you are up to date.
P.P.S - The iPods aren't really intended for this - i remember reading that they require something special to be enabled as a bootable volume. A Google of "Boot from iPod" turned up this as the top result:
http://www.engadget.com/entry/8817137592535661/
I really wonder why people ask questions on a forum when google turns up the solution to 90% of the problems.

That's the whole point. I'm using the iPod to upgrade to Tiger since I can't read dvds on this ibook. And I tried holding option at start up and it wouldn't work. I'm trying to install tiger to the ibook using my ipod but i cant get it to boot up on the ipod so i can install tiger.

Plymouthbreezer

macrumors 601
Feb 27, 2005
Massachusetts
James Philp said:
Yeah, the method on that site did seem long winded to me too, but the risks are real, and I probably would only use my iPod like this in a REAL emergency. (As I have 2 Macs something would have to be seriously wrong!)
If I were to do this I would have done the method you described above.
Question:
Does this take away the actual functionality of iPod (I mean playing music that is!?).
It was quite a walk-around method.

If you choose to erase and install the OS, yes, it will erase your music (granted it will still be in your iTunes Music Library). However, if you have enough space on the 'Pod, then you can install a copy of the OS right on it in addition to your music and other files that may be on it.

The only real issue I had was frequent kernel panics when running off the iPod. Otherwise, everything was fine, albeit slow.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.