How do i get applecare plus?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by CBillups1, Apr 22, 2013.

1. CBillups1 macrumors 6502a

CBillups1

Im about to buy a brand new iphone 5 for tmobile through a legit mac seller on ebay.

how do i get applecare plus to add to the phone? says i have to buy in store with proof of purchase but not sure how thats gonna work...?

anyway i can buy it online and add it?

2. Lyshen macrumors 6502

From what I've seen and heard, need to go to an Apple Retail Store within 30 days of the phone being purchased.

They inspect the phone and then sell you the AppleCare Plus.

Could try calling up AppleCare, although I doubt they would be able to sell AppleCare Plus over the phone.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

The details are documented on apple's site

4. CBillups1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

CBillups1

How am i uspposed to provide proof if im buying it through paypal?

5. Oui macrumors 6502

If they are a legit dealer as you say, they should be able to provide you a receipt.

6. midnightMachine macrumors member

First, let me state that I purchased my T-Mobile iPhone 5 through T-Mobile.

That being said, this was my AppleCare+ purchase experience:

I had already spoken to a AppleCare rep, and they told me that I actually could purchase AC+ over the phone by providing a serial number...

When my phone arrived, I didn't even open it. I called and gave them the SN that was printed on the box label... This didn't work out, they had an error they couldn't get past. After transferring me to a different section, they told me that I had to activate it on a network first. (I was being over zealous, lol)

So I turned it on.. ran through the basic steps to get it running and connected to the cell network and activated. I gave it a couple hours for that to take hold on the systems.

I called the AC reps again (at this point they had given me a case number.. I barely had to tell the new guy anything..pretty awesome really) That time it went through without a hitch. Within a few hours I had my iPhone 5 covered, with all of the welcome emails and everything.

So, yes I purchased it through T-Mobile's online store.. but I would think that as long as it is legitimately new, there shouldn't be any issues. When you do purchase through eBay, you always get some form of BoS, same with paypal.. And AppleCare+ is linked to the device SN, not to you necessarily. (At least thats how it seems to me.. I can check the coverage of my device without signing in anywhere on the Apple website)

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

If you're worried about not getting this, then perhaps buying it through the traditional channels may be the best option

8. Bear macrumors G3

As long as he means "Apple Authorized Reseller" by "legit mac seller" then yes he should be able to get a valid receipt.