How do I get iPhone 5 with Verizon without paying full price?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by tigr123, Jul 5, 2013.

1. tigr123 macrumors newbie

Hi,

I have this issue - I am on a shared plan (Unlimited data) - 2 smart phone lines (RAZR and iPhone 4S). I'd like to replace the RAZR with a new iPhone 5, but we are not due for renewal until June 2014. I don't feel like paying the $500+ upgrade fee for the iPhone. Someone said there is a way to add a third line and get the iPhone 5 for it without paying the full price. Is this true? How does it work?

Thanks in advance for your help.

2. kmichalec macrumors 6502a

Not that I know of. Adding another line to a shared plan is an additional $40/mo (for the Share Everything plans), which would equate to $40x24 = $960, so it'd be cheaper just to buy the phone.

Maybe ask the person who told you about this what they are talking about?

3. adamj575 macrumors 6502

adamj575

yeah, you can...you add a line and get the iphone at the subsidised price ($199) then you transfer the iphone to the line that the razr is on then add a "dumb phone" to the newly added line...that way you only pay $10 a month...you will still have to keep the line for 2 years before you cancel it....basically in the end you will pay 199 for the phone and then 240 over a two year period...on note is that the newly added line will not have unlimited data but your razr line will...ive done this in the past...also when your razr line has an available upgrade you can simply transfer the upgrade to the newly added line then swap whatever phone you get back to an older unlimited line...this is a way to get around having to switch to an unlimited plan...

4. tigr123 thread starter macrumors newbie

Nice!

Thanks. So can I do this at the Verizon store, or is it better to do this online? I guess I need to go to store if I need to pick a 'dumb' phone for my razr line. We do get to keep the same phone number when i make the swap though, correct?

5. adamj575 macrumors 6502

adamj575

What you will wind up doing is get the new phone on the new line...then swap phones between the new line and the razor line...then change the new line to a dumb phone...so that the iPhone will be on the line that the razr was once on and then a dumb phone on the line that the iPhone was on...then you can sell the razr and even make a few bucks back...

6. ritmomundo macrumors 68000

ritmomundo

So you're on the old shared-minutes family plan, right? Not the new shared data plan? If so, yes, you can add a 3rd line (initially $40/month), get the iPhone at $199, switch the iPhone to a different line, put a dumb phone on the third line, and cancel the third line's data plan (decreasing your cost to $10/month). Cancel the third line when the contract is up. Out of pocket cost will be $199 + $10 x 24 months = $440 (plus tax), plus a third phone number.

If youre on the newer shared data plan, then you'd be better off buying the phone at full price.

Otherwise, check ebay/craigslist. People will be selling their iPhone 5s in anticipation of the iPhone 5S.

7. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

I'm surprised you're wanting to get a 5, since the 5S will likely be coming out in the fall.
    To each their own, I suppose.

8. darster Suspended

Buy online from CL or Ebay. Doesn't make much sense to pay $440 total with a 2 year contract, when there are plenty 16GB verizon models on ebay for $400 or less.

9. 617aircav Suspended

This is true. Push your luck and you can get one for $300.

10. metzy25 macrumors 6502a

metzy25

A dumb phone line is only $10? I think I'll do this when the new iPhone comes out

11. metzy25 macrumors 6502a

metzy25

Where do you guys get it $10 a month for a basic phone? It says its $30 a month for a basic phone.

12. bjb.butler macrumors 6502a

bjb.butler

When adding it to a family/shared plan

13. metzy25 macrumors 6502a

metzy25

What I read online while adding it to a family shared plan it's still $30?

14. JoshGlzBrk macrumors 6502a

JoshGlzBrk

The confusion is coming from the fact that the old family plans were called "Family share" and the new plans are called "share everything".

If you're on an old style family share plan 700/1400/unlimited, etc minutes, then adding an additional line is only $10 a month for a basic phone.

However, if you're on the new share everything plans it's $30 a month and it's cheaper to buy the phone at full price.

15. tigr123 thread starter macrumors newbie

Great

So I can buy my phone on ebay and add it to my Verizon plan? Does it have to be unlocked or something?

16. tigr123 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks

Hi, I chatted with a Verizon representative and they said I need to make sure that if I buy the phone on ebay, it must have a clean ESN. Any way to verify this with the seller before buying it?

17. takeshi74 macrumors 601

18. deeddawg macrumors 603

Does Verizon not charge a bunch a b.s. fees on top of that $10?

AT&T adds a bunch of fees on each line, changing that $10/month into nearly $13.50/month -- over two years that's another $80 or so.

19. adamj575 macrumors 6502

adamj575

No fees...but like was mentioned earlier I have the family share plan...they don't offer that anymore so any new customers will have the share everything plan...in that case it's 30 a month for the dumb phone...

20. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

No sure why they'd change their policies when people like the OP are more than happy to give them money for nothing.