How do I get Mail to go back to the default way of looking?

Discussion in 'OS X El Capitan (10.11)' started by Dragoro, Dec 10, 2015.

1. Dragoro macrumors 6502

Dragoro

I thought Id try the classic view just to see what it looked like, and when i switched back, its no where near the same as it was. Anyway of going back to defaults or something?

2. Macksneezie macrumors newbie

I went in to mail preferences then view and unchecked classic view and mine went back to normal.

3. Dragoro thread starter macrumors 6502

Dragoro

Unfortunately mine didn't :( but no longer necessary

4. dianeoforegon macrumors 6502a

dianeoforegon

You'll need to resize to show the preview window. Often you can only see the middle pane showing subjects.

5. Dragoro thread starter macrumors 6502

Dragoro

Yeah but now when i click on an email, instead of opening on the right side, i have to double click on it and open it in a separate window.. How do I make it go back to the way it was before?

6. rshrugged macrumors 6502a

7. Dragoro thread starter macrumors 6502

Dragoro

Thanks, unfortunately I have no idea what they are talking about when they say rebuild the mail

8. KALLT macrumors 601

You might have to drag the email preview panel on the right side back to the left side. It's easy to overlook, but it's the thicker border on the right-hand side of the main window.

9. Dragoro thread starter macrumors 6502

Dragoro

10. KALLT, Dec 11, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2015

KALLT macrumors 601

What does that mean? Is the draggable area there or not? Have you resized the entire window? Have you closed the windows, then right-clicked on the Dock icon and selected quit, then reopened Mail?

Try this Terminal command:
    Code:
    killall Mail; defaults delete com.apple.mail "NSSplitView Subview Frames Main Window"; defaults delete com.apple.mail "NSSplitView Subview Frames Main Window Preview Pane"; defaults delete com.apple.mail TableColumns
    If it doesn't work: you can reset Mail to its default status (accounts themselves and their settings will remain in tact) with this Terminal command:
    Code:
    killall Mail; defaults delete com.apple.mail

11. Dragoro thread starter macrumors 6502

Dragoro

Thanks Kallt. The border on right was no thicker or darker than the one on the left, but just for kicks i dragged it and sure enough, there was the preview pane.