How do I get my AIM and Jabber contacts in one buddy list with iChat?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Obocop, Aug 12, 2008.

1. Obocop macrumors member

Obocop

Hi everyone,
    I have Gmail and .mac accounts for use with iChat. I only have a few .mac friends, so I was wondering if there's any way to get my .mac (AIM) friends working with my Gmail (Jabber) account, and just disable my .mac so I don't have 2 buddy lists.
    I can add them to my Gmail, but all it says "Waiting for authorization" and they are greyed out.
    They can't add me either, their only options are .mac and mobileme.:confused:

2. dadoc04 macrumors member

3. Obocop thread starter macrumors member

Obocop

thanks heaps. It solved half my problem. I now have one unified buddy list. If only iChat could let people from AIM and Jabber add and chat with each other, then i'd be happy. Anyway, thanks for your help.

4. dadoc04 macrumors member

no problem man... glad it worked for ya

5. Cobol to Java macrumors newbie

Cobol to Java

6. Obocop thread starter macrumors member

Obocop

In an unrelated issue, iChat keeps disconnecting my gmail account every 20 mins or so. This doesn't happen with my .mac account. I opened all the necessary ports etc in my router, but with no resolution.
    So today I decided to switch to Adium, which allows me to have all my buddies in one list (gmail, msn and .mac) and also never disconnects me.
    I hope iChat improves it's stability and adds more of the Chax features soon. I really like the screen sharing and video chats etc, so it looks like i'll be switching between them.

7. martinmartin macrumors 6502

I installed Chax...but I still can't figure out how to combine my 3 accounts to just 1 window...

How do you do this???

Thanks