How do I get rid of Other space on my iPhone?

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by Xylian, Oct 1, 2013.

1. Xylian macrumors member

Hi,
    I've bought an iPhone 5 few days ago, installed some apps, images and music for about 2 GB (out of the 16GB)... Now I already have about 1.3 GB of "Other" space used on the phone... how can I get rid of this space? Is there any way to understand what is this Other space? It is not good to have wasted 1.3 GB of space in such a few time without understanding what it is..

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

2. indianavtx macrumors member

It's iOS. Remove that and your phone won't work.

3. eclipse01 macrumors 68020

eclipse01

and "other" random background info from other apps

4. Xylian thread starter macrumors member

What a stupid I am, I've forgot that also the operating system is stored on the 16GBs of the phone.. But I have an important question.. Could there be some garbage in the "other space" apart from the OS and other useful data? Should I take care of that GBs, to try to keep the iPhone as clean as I can?

5. Xylian thread starter macrumors member

Mmm.. The operating system has already been counted.. In fact, the total space is about 14GB instead of 16GB, and in that 14GB of available space there is 1.3GB of Other Data.. So this other data should not count the iOS data, am I right?

6. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

Contacts
    emails
    iMessages
    Call logs
    Browser history
    game saves

Will all take up space in your other. Try cleaning up some of that to see if it helps, Personally I think 16GB is too small these days.

7. Xylian thread starter macrumors member

Yes, they're definitely too small... All the stuff you say can't sum up to 1.3GB of data in my case...

8. kas23, Oct 1, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2013

kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

"Other" is certainly not just the OS. It can be all sorts of garbage, like texts, voicemails, mail, anything that can be stored in factory installed apps minus music and pics/videos. My wife's was 4.8 GB a few days ago (before I restored it).

Here's a good link:

http://osxdaily.com/2013/07/24/remove-other-data-storage-iphone-ipad/

My biggest question is what's "documents and data" and why's it taking up so much space especially when I have iCloud on and have tons is space there.

Another question I have: I own a 64 GB iPhone. Per Usage, I have used 54.1 GB and only have 3.0 GB available. So, my 64 GB iPhone can only hold 57.1. The OS is consuming 6.9 GB? That's downright Microsoftian.

9. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

Check your Settings>General>Usage>Storage and see if there's anything in there unusual.

10. fat jez macrumors 68000

fat jez

Depends on whether your 64GB is base 2 or base. 10. Apple quote storage in their advertising in base 10, so you get 64,000,000,000 bytes. The OS quotes free space in base 2, so 64,000,000,000/(1024x1024x1024)=59.6046GB

Lose 2GB for the OS and that gives you 57GB of available storage. It's nothing new, hard disk manufacturers have done it ever since their marketing people realised it made their disks seam bigger if storage was quoted in base. 10.

11. jessicahry macrumors newbie

jessicahry

Finally figured out how to remove 3GB of other space from my iPhone. I followed this guide: Remove Other Space from iPhone.

Basically what I did was remove a bunch of text messages because the pictures that are sent get stored in other. That removed about 300MB. Then I delted my iTunes backup and switched to iCloud backup. then i restarted my iphone and over 1GB was saved. The rest i did with PhoneClean.