Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NoisyDude

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 29, 2009
How do I remove some videos on my :apple:TV? :confused: I have :apple:TV and iPod versions of some videos on my iTunes library (I placed an "(iPod)" in the name of the iPod versions) and all I want is to have the :apple:TV versions sync-ed and get rid of the iPod ones.

I have manual sync-ing setup and unchecking the iPod videos and re-syncing does NOT get rid of them. :mad:

Unfortunately, this happened after I (successfully) completed a factory reset and paired my :apple:TV with my Mac. As soon as you pair it, the automatic sync-ing starts and ALL the content is copied. :mad: I have now set sync-ing to manual.

If it makes any difference, I did update the software to the latest version before paring my :apple:TV to my Mac.

pacmania1982

macrumors 65816
Nov 19, 2006
Birmingham, UK
How do I remove some videos on my :apple:TV? :confused: I have :apple:TV and iPod versions of some videos on my iTunes library (I placed an "(iPod)" in the name of the iPod versions) and all I want is to have the :apple:TV versions sync-ed and get rid of the iPod ones.

I have manual sync-ing setup and unchecking the iPod videos and re-syncing does NOT get rid of them. :mad:

Unfortunately, this happened after I (successfully) completed a factory reset and paired my :apple:TV with my Mac. As soon as you pair it, the automatic sync-ing starts and ALL the content is copied. :mad: I have now set sync-ing to manual.

If it makes any difference, I did update the software to the latest version before paring my :apple:TV to my Mac.

Have you set it to sync only the contents that you want? Turn off 'Automatically include' tab then select the movies you want

See my screenshot

pac

Attachments

• screenshot 2.jpg
    screenshot 2.jpg
    168.1 KB · Views: 71

pacmania1982

macrumors 65816
Nov 19, 2006
Birmingham, UK
I just re-read what you were asking. Basically if there are two movies in your iTunes library then they will both show on the Apple TV even if they are synced on the hard drive. Unless you had two libraries (which is a pain in the ass) I don't think you can do what you want to

pac

NoisyDude

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 29, 2009
Getting rid of movies that ar un-checked in iTunes

Actually, my issue is with the movies that synced at the beginning, after I paired the :apple:TV to my Mac iTunes. By default, the synchronization is done automatically for all the content and I didn't stop this in time before turning auto sync off. Now that the auto sync is off I get to choose which movies I want to sync and only those get copied/synced to the :apple:TV. The issue is with the movies that did get synced right after the pairing.

Even though I uncheck the movies that I do not want on my :apple:TV and re-sync, they do not get removed from the :apple:TV. This is what I need help with. In my mind, unchecking a movie should remove it from the device... it makes sense since I want to keep the device "in sync" with my iTunes configuration.

Any thoughts?

Alrescha

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2008
If in iTunes you select your Apple TV under Devices and choose "Custom Sync", then the only things synced are what you choose to sync. This can be demonstrated by unchecking the "Sync <media>" box on every media tab and then hitting the "Sync" button in the lower right. The Apple TV capacity graph will show nearly all space as 'Free'.

If you are seeing different behavior, something is broken.

A.

rayward

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2007
Houston, TX

You can get iTunes to combine both versions of your movies into one entry, and feed the appropriate version to the appropriate device. Using Subler, add a cnID tag to your movies. cnID is just a custom ID # that you create (I started at "1000" and worked up from there). Tag both versions with the same number, but on the ATV version also check the HD tag - even if it's not HD. Then, re-load both movies into iTunes, and it will list the movie just once in your library, but give it the "HD-SD" flag so you know that there's two versions there.

After syncing your ATV, it will ignore the iPhone version and only list the "HD" version. ATV knows if it isn't HD and, if it isn't, it won't show the "HD" flag. Then, if you add the movie to your iPhone, iTunes will copy over the smaller "SD" version.

I've got about 100 movies in iTunes, almost all with an ATV version and an iPhone version "nested" in iTunes. It works fantastically well. Plus, the good news for you, it only takes a moment to tag your exiting files and you don't have to re-encode anything.

PS. If you add meta tags to your movies, you only need to tag the ATV version as iTunes will use that file's tags for its library and for the ATV menu. This saves the iPhone version from being inflated in size by the tag info. The only tag you need on your iPhone version, is the cnID.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.