How do I get Siri to add a reminder to a list with an alert!

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by Ggvfvgbffbf, Feb 26, 2015.

1. Ggvfvgbffbf macrumors member

So I'm trying to set a reminder via Siri to do a certain task -(see the image). What precise instruction do I need to give to her!?

Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Or you could just open the Reminders app and do it with a few keyboard and screen taps

3. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

Neither of your sentences make much sense so I'm not surprised it's not working as you'd like. What are you trying to do?

4. Ggvfvgbffbf thread starter macrumors member

I have different lists in Reminders -(Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday etc).

I want to add a reminder to email John to my Friday list and at the same have an alert at 6am.

I can add the reminder no prob: "Add to my Friday list email John", but I can't work out what to say to Siri to add the reminder with an accompanying alert.

5. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Remind me to email ........ On Friday at 6am/pm

That works perfectly

6. gordon1234 macrumors 6502a

Exactly. The key here is to say it like you would tell a secretary or some other human. If I were Siri I wouldn't have understood your query the way you stated it either…

7. Ggvfvgbffbf thread starter macrumors member

Sorry, with respect, but it doesn't. That just adds the reminder to my default reminders list.

I'm asking for the reminder to be added to a specific list, (in this case my list called 'Friday'), within the Reminders app and for an alert to be set.

I also have a list within reminders called 'shopping list'. Same thing would apply here. How do I add say 'milk' to my shopping list within the Reminders.app with an alert for say 6pm?

8. dyt1983, Feb 26, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2015

dyt1983 macrumors 65816

edit: To remove personally identifying information not relevant to the thread.

9. Ggvfvgbffbf thread starter macrumors member

You Sir, are a genius and I thank you. It works exactly the same on British Siri.

Thanks again.

10. C DM macrumors Westmere

How does that work as far as adding something to a reminders list like "Friday" for example?

11. Ggvfvgbffbf thread starter macrumors member

It works fine just as long as you include the word "list".

As in 'Change calendar to Friday list'.

12. C DM macrumors Westmere

So should that be reminders instead of calendar?

13. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Why? If you just use Reminders, it will automatically only show you the reminders that apply to the day you requested. You don't need a list for each day of the week.

To add to a particular list, say "Add "list name" reminder "new item" on "date and time""

14. coffeemadmanUK macrumors 6502a

coffeemadmanUK

Try saying "Friday list" instead of waiting to have Siri confirm it.

For example to add to my groceries list I just say "Add milk to my groceries list" and Siri adds it without him having to ask me which list.

I don't know how/if he can both add to a list and set up an alert though at the same time.

15. dyt1983, Mar 1, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2015

dyt1983 macrumors 65816

edit: To remove personally identifying information not relevant to the thread.

16. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I didn't try to figure it out. That's why I asked the question.
    That certainly might be the case, and they're under no obligation to respond, but it might also be that they don't fully understand the capabilities and uses of the app.
    Of course you can. That's an example of someone not understanding the functionality of the app, who might resort to a "workaround" like creating a list for each day of the week.
    You can look at the list of reminders for only today, or any specific day, simply by clicking on the day in question.
    The Menu Bar can do that.

The point is, it's reasonable to ask the question, since it may prove to be helpful to the OP if it turns out that they discover a more efficient and effective way of using the app.

17. C DM macrumors Westmere

Out of curiosity, where/how do you only see items for today in the iOS Reminders app? Also, when you mention Menu Bar, what is that referencing in the app?

18. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Under "Scheduled" in the iOS app it shows reminders by day, starting with today.

The Menu Bar reference was in response to the poster I replied to who brought up the Reminders app in OS X.

19. C DM macrumors Westmere

I guess that's probably more specific to the iPad as I don't recall coming across that on an iPhone, right?

20. Ggvfvgbffbf thread starter macrumors member

OP here. Thanks to everyone who has contributed. dyt1983 got what I was after and solved it for me.

Just to answer one of the questions that was asked -I tend to use the reminders app as a to-do list. I have lists for each day of the week and like to see in front of me a list of the things I need to do / want to achieve on each day. The majority of these will not have an alert set.

As I'm going thru a day I'll often use Siri to add something to a specific list -sometimes with an alert.

So for example I could say now 'remind me on Monday to email John at 9am'. That would correctly set up a reminder with an alert but Siri would add that to my default reminders list which is 'Reminders' -(you can change your default list in Settings-Reminders).

However if I wanted that to show on my 'Monday' list I'd need to use the workaround provided by dyt1983 above.

21. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Yes, it shows the same on the iPhone. Just select the Scheduled view and the items for today are listed under "Today".

22. C DM macrumors Westmere

There is a heading there for today, along with other days, but no way to select specific days and see a separate screen/list (as it sounded like based on what you were describing).

23. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No, it's not a separate list. It automatically groups reminders for any day under a header for that day, so you can quickly view all the reminders for today, or next Friday, or Tuesday, two weeks from now.

24. C DM macrumors Westmere

Right, basically from one list for the scheduled reminders. I was thinking I overlooked something before and there's a way to select a specific day and just see reminders for that day, again, as one of your earlier replies made it sound like. But it seems like that particular feauture isn't there.

25. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

In iOS, you can scroll down that list to the particular day you want. In OS X, you can click on the day of the calendar to view reminders for that day.