How do I get the best out of my Netgear Rangemax wireless router WPN824 with my MBP

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by wants2tryMac, Feb 24, 2010.

1. wants2tryMac macrumors newbie

Hi guys,
    My ISP just installed the Netgear Rangemax wireless router for me (WPN 824 v2). At the beginning things were OK (like when I'm very close to the router). However, later the computer just disconnects itself from the router when I move a bit farther (to the bedroom for example). It's a small apartment actually and I don't think distance may be an issue here.
    Also, when I do the speedtest (at speedtest.net), both download and upload speeds decrease over time. And finally, although the computer may be connected to the wireless, it won't just load web pages.
    The router came with a wireless adapter, but it only says it supports Windows. Even the installation CD is for Windows only. :(
    How can I maintain the connection to my MBP even when I move away? And what are the best settings for Macs on this router model? Anyone using it here?
    Please, any help would be appreciated.
    P.S: I'm not so computer-savvy. :(
    Thanks guys :)

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Sounds like you might be dealing with interference on the channel your router is currently using. Check your manual for instructions on changing channels (normally numbered 1-11). Choose one that's numerically far from the current setting, so if it's currently set to 11, try using 1 or 2. Try a few different channels and see if your wireless performance improves.

3. wants2tryMac thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi,
    Thanks for your reply. I haven't changed the channel yet cuz I think the guy who installed it changed the default "admin" and "password" inputs. Will resetting the router by pressing the reset button bring them back?
    Also, I observed that when I browse using the Windows 7 on my mac, everything works fine. But once I revert back to my mac, the problem starts. In fact, I can even connect my iPhone when I'm on W7, but both the iPhone and MBP don't browse when I revert back to the Mac OS. :confused:

4. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Depending on the brand, the default passwords could be "admin", "password", or nothing at all. I'm not sure what Netgear uses. Or did you look that up?

Yes, resetting the router should also reset the admin authentication creds. That's why sysadmins have a saying that if a hacker has physical access to a device, it's already compromised.