How do I get the songs I purchased off iTunes that were on my old computer?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by MK25toLife, Sep 17, 2007.

1. MK25toLife macrumors regular

I just got a new iMac and I have a lot of music I purchased on my old computer from iTunes. It did not transfer over when I imported all my music. How do I get this music back? Please don't tell me I have to pay for it. Help!

2. rockthecasbah macrumors 68020

rockthecasbah

Do you still have the computer? You can use an external drive or an iPod acting as one to copy the files over and just reauthorize them for your account.

If you don't Apple has measures for redownloading lost files but i'm not sure of the restrictions and circumstances involved with that. People who have had drive failures can tell you better than I can :eek:

3. CANEHDN macrumors 6502a

CANEHDN

Unless the files still exist (Didn't reformat the HD) you'll have to purchase the songs again. Apple doesn't let you re-download songs.

4. Aegelward macrumors 6502a

i can't help feeling thats a little unfair, its much harder to loose a file than a physical CD, i sort of wish that apple would take a few cues from valve's Steam and maybe have a 'my albums' tab on the ITMS, and a list of authorized computers..

5. stujmac macrumors newbie

Actually the above responses are incorrect - you most certainly can download purchased content from iTunes to a new computer - I recently transferred from PC to Mac and it was very easy to do so. Simply authorise your iTunes account on your new Mac, and then select 'check for purchases' - it will download everything. You can authorise up to 5 devices at any one time. Hope this works for you!!!

:):D:apple:

6. RumMunkey macrumors 6502a

RumMunkey

Which is precisely why you need to back up your purchases to a CD or DVD. Did you not get that pop-up message in iTunes?