How do I get Time Capsule to get it’s Internet from a free WiFi source?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by keithakola, Jun 5, 2011.

1. keithakola macrumors newbie

CHALLENGE: How do I get Time Capsule to get it’s Internet from a WiFi source, instead of from the port on the back of the unit?

SITUATION: I'm renting an apartment over a garage 20 feet away from the landlord’s router in the main house. He provides free (encrypted) WiFi in lieu of a physical port. I want my new MacBook to get internet wirelessly from my TC so file backup is fully integrated. After it's getting internet my TC will have it’s own wifi channel separate from the one it's feeding off of so the macbook does not get confused about where to connect and backup.

IDEA: I was thinking an intermediate device to channel the WiFi into the WAN port (input) of the TC. Below is a link for one. Will this work? Will I need to change any settings on the TC? What about IP addresses? Thanks!

POSSIBLE DEVICE: http://www.buffalotech.com/products...-dual-band-ethernet-converter-wli-tx4-ag300n/

2. RafaelT macrumors 65816

RafaelT

I am guessing that there is no way for you to run an Ethernet cable from the house to the apartment? 20 FT is by no means to far to run a cable between structures.

3. SDub90 macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

I think you'll need one of two things:

A spare computer with wifi: share it's wifi connection to devices connected via Ethernet and connect the TC to the spare computer over Ethernet.

Or

Buy one of those adapters that are typically used for game consoles: they connect to an Ethernet port and pick up the wifi signal

I think there are some wireless routers that will extend wireless signals to Ethernet, but I have no experience with those.

4. Brian33 macrumors 6502a

I'm no expert, but have you tried just using the Time Capsule (TC) to extend the landlord's network? With the TC extending the network and your MacBook connected to the same network, Time Machine on your MacBook should have no problem seeing the TC's internal drive for backups.

As I said, I haven't tried this but it looks easy in Airport Utility->AirPort->Wireless->Wireless Mode select Extend a wireless network.

5. keithakola thread starter macrumors newbie

I did try to extend the landlord's network, but it said it was 'not extendable.' It's not an Apple brand.

6. mattpreston11 macrumors 6502a

I linked my extreme upto a d-link router when i first plugged it in. Worked fine, Might have to run the setup again though.