how do i get videos to play from my touch to my tv?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by optibotimus, Feb 17, 2008.

1. optibotimus macrumors newbie

Forgive me, i'm obviously new here and i'm not sure if this has been discussed already.

I have a standard tv and the ipod touch 1.1.3. Today i purchased a av component cable, official apple version. I've tried it on two different televisions and i get sound fine...but the video is black and white. I paid 50 bucks for this guy...so i'd like to know what to do to fix this before i decide to return it tomorrow. Any help you guys could offer would be wonderful. Thanks

p.s....i had heard that the componet cable only works for HDTV's and i need a composite one...but no where on the box nor on apples website specifies these things...so lemme know :D

2. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

3. tonyshucraft macrumors regular

you may want to ask apple. this should also mean full refund for you if you need a different one. DUe to lack of specification

4. optibotimus thread starter macrumors newbie

so i definately should return this one i have and get the composite one then? Thank you sir/ma'am...i wish they'd put that stuff on the box so you can learn that before you buy it

5. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

It says "Component" on the box, just as it does on the web site. The sales person should have tried to make sure the OP was buying the right item though.

The problem is "component" and "composite" look similar at a glance. I had to double-check what I was typing to make sure I didn't mix 'em there (and to make sure I gave you the right link...). They shouldn't have any problem exchanging it for you, though.

6. optibotimus thread starter macrumors newbie

very true...and i didn't know the difference between component or composite...i bought it at best buy...so i'll just go there tomorrow and try switching em out :D thanks a million

7. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Ah, I was picturing the Apple Store, where there's usually a bit more personal service (not to say they couldn't have made a mistake, too). Best Buy should be a quick exchange.

I bought one for my iPhone and haven't even tried it. I just wanted it in my "arsenal". I went with the composite, since it's much more common and easier to access. For instance, my DVD recorder only has composite on the front panel.

8. tonyshucraft macrumors regular

yeah, that's always a given thing that somebody selling something should do. Know what they sell and what it works with. Most stores do and usually make recommendations But there are some stores(like a small one here in town) that knows almost nothing about what they sell, and returning things is hard as hell.
    luckily we live near some decent small cities.

9. zea mays macrumors 6502

zea mays

We just used the Apple Video Dock. I already had it and it worked :) It was a pleasant surprise after I had heard of so many people having troubles. Rented our first movie off iTunes, really slick!