How do I import new photos directly to an existing album?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by FloridaMac, Feb 28, 2012.

1. FloridaMac macrumors regular

I'm trying to take new photos from my camera and import them directly to an existing album but I can't figure it out. I just end up importing the photos which of course go to a new album and then drag that album to the one I want. Is there a way to select the photos I want and then import them to the album I want? Thanks.

2. smirk macrumors 6502a

smirk

When you import photos, they go to an Event. Each photo can reside in only one event; events are simply containers that iPhoto creates based on the date of the photo to help make some organizational sense. For example, on Saturday you went to a wedding and took a bunch of photos. The next day you went to the park and took some photos. When iPhoto imports all those photos, it could split them up into two events, which you could then name "Wedding" and "Park".

Albums are created by you. A photo can belong to more than one album, just like a song in iTunes can belong to more than one playlist.

To answer your question, though, I'm not aware of any way to import photos directly into an album.

3. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

No. You import and then view your photos either in the associated Event in Events, or in Photos. You then select and drag the ones that you want to the Album of your choice.

4. FloridaMac thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks. That answers my question.

5. waynep macrumors 6502

Just for clarity . . Albums are different that Events in iPhoto. The photos exist in Events. You can define or create an album, but those are "pointers" back to the photos that exist in the Events.

When you import, they go to an event, usually with the date on it in my case. I can then go into that new event and cut the photos that I want, and then go to another event and paste them in to the older existing event. For example, I have an event called Dogs. It contains pictures of our dogs over time . . imagine that. If I get a new photo of a dog, it will import into the new, dated, event, then I cut/paste the new photo from the new event into the Dogs event. Works fine.