How do I install downloaded copy of Vista on my Mac via Bootcamp?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by alchemistmuffin, Oct 9, 2008.

1. alchemistmuffin macrumors 6502

I just purchased a copy of Vista under MSDN Academic Alliance.

But to save money, I decided to download the copy of vista and burn the disc my self.

But the downloader is in exe file.

How do I download and burn the file so I can install vista on my mac?

2. davidg4781 macrumors 68000

I think you'll have to borrow someone's computer.

That's pretty interesting, though. I didn't realize you could download Vista and burn it onto a DVD.

3. millar876 macrumors 6502a

millar876

The .exe file may be a self extracting archive. if you have an older copy of windows try oppening on that, otherwise, you'll have to download another version, or borrow a friends PC and burn a bootable iso

4. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I downloaded XP SP3 from the MS Volume Licensing website, it was an exe, but it wasn't really. It wouldn't extract, I tried renaming it ISO and it worked :confused: Worth a shot, failing that you'll need a PC with a DVD burner to extract and then burn your image.

5. chipchen macrumors 6502

the file should be an ISO file, which you can burn with Disk Utility. But if you need an exe file just to download it.. you need a PC. Have a friend download and burn it for you. If I were you though, I'd buy the original disc.

6. millar876 macrumors 6502a

millar876

Side note: love the new avatar Edesign, although I liked the pics of miss knightly better (thats going back a while)

7. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

The Windows images on MSDN are ISO, however it uses a proprietary downloader called Microsoft File Transfer Manager which only runs on Windows. You'll need to borrow a Windows machine in order to download the image.