How Do I jailbreak an iPhone 3g on 4.2.1 ... it's just gonna be an iPod

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by falconman515, Dec 18, 2012.

1. falconman515 macrumors 6502a

falconman515

Bought an old 3G from a co-worker for 20 bucks to make into and iPod for random stuff and to use in our travel trailerhooked up to the stereo aux jack.

I am trying to get it all filled with music and wanted to jailbreak it for the heck of it to get other random junk.

First questions ... how do I jailbreak this thing? I have done this in the past ... in fact I jail broke my old original 3G with Pwnage tool .... but when I go to DL that same tool it doesn't work anymore with windows 7 (tried diff. compatibility modes and nothing) ... how do I go about doing a quick and easy jailbreak on this phone / iPod? Also it DL's in .DMG ... I just changed this extension to .EXE ... is this correct? if nto how do I run this PwnageTool_4.2.DMG file so I can jailbreak this phone?

Also is there something I need to to do to make this "just" and iPod ... i just did a restore and seems like it's fine and can be used and of course is not running on a cell service .... just wondering if something different needs to be done to make this "only and iPod"

Thanks so much for the help guys. :)

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

3. j.dstasio macrumors 6502

j.dstasio

The easiest way would be to use Greenpois0n. That's assuming you don't need to hacktivate or alter the baseband.

4. falconman515 thread starter macrumors 6502a

falconman515

Where can I find this?

5. falconman515 thread starter macrumors 6502a

falconman515

Found the GreenPoison jailbreak app .... tried walking through the step (turn off iphone, hold down sleep, hold, both, let go of sleep and hold home ..... but then nothing happens.

6. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

I don't think you have ever done a jb before. Go to www.iclarified.com find a tutorial for your device and jb away. :cool:

7. falconman515 thread starter macrumors 6502a

falconman515

I sure have (why I would I say I did .. Geez) .... The last time I did it was my 3G ... after I bought my 4 I never did it again (and I didn't upgrade to the 3gs).

I used a program on my windows that had the funny pineapple guy ... that's why I thought it was Pwnagetool.

I remember it being very easy but for some reason this is not working for me.

The prgram is running and I follow the steps but the greenpoison doesn't see the DFE ... my phone remains off and with a black screen I would assume in the DFE mode but the program doesn't read it and it just says try again.

8. lunaoso macrumors 65816

lunaoso

Redsnow.

9. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

Funny pineapple guy? You mean Einstein or the caricature of Jobs? or was it a pineapple w/ extremities? PwnageTool is Mac only...

I guess you also mean DFU not DFE; Again, go to iclarified and read how to do dfu properly and jb instructions.

10. SnowLeopard OSX macrumors 6502a

SnowLeopard OSX

11. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

Go to modmyi.com and choose your device on the top left and then follow the steps

12. falconman515 thread starter macrumors 6502a

falconman515

Awesome ... worked like a charm (the other didn't work at all for some reason)

This site was PERFECT!!! Take you through step by step and SO VERY EASY to follow and understand.

Yep ... perfect phone littel scratched on the back and couple little marks on the screen but perfect otherwise ... gonbs use this just for an iPod to use for the travel trailer.

Thanks for all the help on this guys.

----------

Now one last question ....

How do I get rid of the "Wiating For Activation" badge :confused::confused: every time I turn this thing on (remember not using this for iPhone just for iPod and other uses)