How do I know if an AT&T iPhone 4s is factory unlocked? (full retail price version)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by GadgetGeek407, Nov 23, 2011.

1. GadgetGeek407 macrumors 6502a

I am curious cause i will be buying att phones, is it that you have to restore and get the unlocked message or does the other sim cards work anytime right out of the box?

2. aphexacid macrumors 6502a

aphexacid

They have unlocked ones to buy straight from apple now. foreign sims work right out of the box

3. Coleman2010 macrumors 68000

Buy it directly from an Apple store full price and it should be unlocked. I am not aware AT&T sells the unlocked version on their website or in stores.

4. GadgetGeek407 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'm talking about when people pay full retail for an att iPhone

5. iPhone Warrior macrumors member

Full price at an AT&T store will still be locked to AT&T. They do not sell unlocked iphones. You will need to get one directly from Apple.com to be sure to get an unlocked phone.

6. yrchern macrumors member

All AT&T iPhone 4S's are NOT factory unlocked, but Apple unlock them after you purchase as device only at Apple store.

7. Spectrum Abuser macrumors 65816

Spectrum Abuser

Were you all in caves or something for the last few weeks? AT&T had been unofficially selling unlocked iPhones if you bought them for the full price. The activation method that locks the iPhone to AT&T had to be done in the store. If you bought the phone full priced they did not require you activate it in store and thus iTunes would unlock the phone when you plugged it in at home.

Now that Apple is selling them officially unlocked I'd be safe and just go with them.

8. braddick macrumors 68040

braddick

When you restore your iPhone with iTunes there will be a page within the process that will state: "Congratulations. Your iPhone is now unlocked"

If that screen doesn't show up it is not the correct version of iPhone.

9. dave006 macrumors 68030

dave006

AT&T does not directly offer the iPhone 4S unlocked at any price. :mad:

No, nobody but you (Spectrum Abuser) it seems been in a cave for a few weeks! :(

Apple has quietly been offering AT&T iPhone 4S that are purchased via a retail store as a "Device Only" purchase at full retail price as Factory Unlocked. This option varies by Apple retail store, some stores have a policy of just saying no while others are very happy to assist. :confused:

Here is a very long thread that started on Oct. 15 concerning the ability to purchase an AT&T iPhone 4S from Apple retail as a "Device Only" and get an unlocked iPhone.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1253171

Dave

10. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Actually people that bought the phone full price from AT&T also receive that message that the iphone is unlocked.
    And when tested it accepts foreign non-AT&T sims.
    But either way its a risk IMO. I just went and ordered one factory unlocked from the Apple site.
    Only thing that sucks is the 2-3 week wait.