How do I know if my phone is sending messages via iMessage or text?

Discussion in 'iOS 5 and earlier' started by jonesjb, Oct 25, 2011.

1. jonesjb macrumors member

I don't see a way to specify which way I send a message, can someone please offer me some advice.

Thanks.

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Messages in a blue bubble are iMessage. Messages in a green bubble are SMS. Right now, as far as I understand, you don't have a choice in the matter -- if iMessage is turned on, the iPhone will use it whenever it can.

3. EJ257 macrumors newbie

You can go into Messages option and flip the Send As SMS to off. This should ensure the messages leaving your phone is only going out as iMessage. I don't know how to block incoming sms if there is even a way.

4. diamond.g macrumors 603

diamond.g

Call your service provider to block incoming SMS/MMS.

5. Slabonski macrumors newbie

In addition to the blue bubbles it also puts a header (w/ date & time) before each iMessage session in the messaging app.

-------------------------- iMessage ----------------------------------
    [date][time]

6. elistan macrumors 6502a

Weird. I have this set to Off, and my iPhone STILL sends SMS. Is there something else I'm missing?

7. GraphicsGeek macrumors 6502a

If the recipient has iOS 5 on an iPhone it'll be an iMessage. No need to figure out anything. If the person doesnt have an iphone, itll be a sms. If you want to send an iMessage to an iPod touch or iPad, select the recipients Apple ID instead of their number

----------

This option is only for when iMessage is down or not available. If it can't use iMessage for some reason, it'll send as a text. You can't turn off text messaging without contacting your provider.