How do I know I'm buying the latest Apple LED Monitor?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by whitefang, Mar 24, 2009.

1. whitefang macrumors 6502

I plan on going to the apple store over the weekend to buy the Apple LED 24" monitor. How do I know I'm getting the latest one because I know Apple just recently refreshed their monitor line?

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

There is only one. I'm pretty darn sure you'll get the latest.

3. InkMaster macrumors 6502a

If you're looking to get the 24", then there's only one model of it that was released yet. The 20" doesn't exist any more. 30" is still the old one but its not LED anyways.

4. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Apple currently only sells two displays, the LED one (with the black bezel) and the 30" (with the silver bezel).

Biggest difference, the bezel color, followed by size (actually I think it is a tie).

TEG

5. terriyaki macrumors 6502a

Plus price and the fact that one is LED backlit while the other is not.

6. bossxii macrumors 68000

Pretty sure the 24" is the only one that has the glass screen with the black bezel unlike the other displays are in a silver frame. It will stand out as different :)

I purchased mine about a month ago but just never find myself using it, wish Apple had a longer return policy, but ebay will see mine listed shortly, just need to take a few pics. I love the freedom my 17" UMBP provides that it keeps me out of the basement and away from my computer desk.

They do look great and the single cable hookup makes it nice, just not for me.

7. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

Only the 24" sized cinema display has the LED backlighting technology. It also saids LED on the box of the 24" LED ACD as well.

Only the 20", 23", 30" cinema displays use the older CCFL backlighting technology.

8. whitefang thread starter macrumors 6502

Another question, if I get the LED display, can I connect my PC to it? (PC has both HDMI and DVI ports)

9. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

No adapters exist. None are planned. Some say that adapters cannot be made at all.

You cannot use this monitor with anything but a Mac with Mini DisplayPort.

10. bossxii macrumors 68000

umm that's actually a good question. I don't know of a "female" mini display port type adapter to even convert it to DVI or whatever. There are plenty of male DVI to HDMI/DVI etc.. but you would actually need the same port that is in the MB line as the female side of the connection to then plug the monitor into. Aside from that I guess it's possible but no clue.

Look forward to someone with an answer :)

** Thanks Tallest Skil! You beat me to posting so just read your answer and as I was thinking. No adapter **

11. whitefang thread starter macrumors 6502

So basically, if I get the Apple LED monitor, I'll have to stick to the Apple line of products in the future? Hmm.......now I could instead get a Dell monitor and use either Apple or PC but then again, I can't find a monitor that compares to the Apple LED in terms of quality and style.

12. Santabean2000 macrumors 68000

Santabean2000

What made you think you need it; were you overcome with 'Apple lust'..?

13. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

apple's evil plan to get us all to use mac's.

14. m1stake macrumors 68000

There are lots of screens that are superior to the acd, though arguably none prettier. Check out the 2475w by hp. A better screen for less money.

15. brentsg macrumors 68040

Then I guess "better" is subjective...

16. bossxii macrumors 68000

I had a smaller 19" model I hooked up to my MBA liked the setup when at the house and decided to give it a go. I purchased the ACD thinking it would be a great match and easy to deal with for the MBA, it was for that purpose but finally decided the MBA wasn't the keeper so exchanged it after 40 days and purchased the 17" UMBP. I find with the 17" MBP I'm never at my desk and don't need to dock this as I did the MBA to make up for it's lack of features I thought I could live without. I really enjoy the MBP's trackpad and rarely find myself at my desk anymore. So many better places to use my computer now that's a true portable desktop for me. :)