How do I know the location of the iTunes file that I have open?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by piatti, Jan 2, 2012.

1. piatti macrumors 6502a

piatti

I have two iTunes library, one in computer and one in EHD. I wasn't sure which library I have open when I wanted to sync my iPhone. How can I find out?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

iTunes > Preferences > General shows the library name, assuming they don't have the same name.
    iTunes > Preferences > Advanced shows the iTunes Media folder location.

3. simsaladimbamba

4. gorskiegangsta macrumors 65816

gorskiegangsta

Pick a song, right click it and choose "Show in Finder". That'll show whether it's from an external HDD, or the local HDD.

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That only shows the location of that particular song. It doesn't show the location of the iTunes library, as the OP was asking, or the iTunes Media folder.
    I'm guessing that's new with newer versions of iTunes, as mine (10.2.2) doesn't show that.

6. gorskiegangsta, Jan 2, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2012

gorskiegangsta macrumors 65816

gorskiegangsta

I was under the impression that the OP's entire second library (i.e. iTunes files and content) is on the external. If so, this is a sure way of finding out which library is currently open.

Nor does mine (10.5.2). simsaladimbamba, is there a setting you toggle to do that?

EDIT: NVM, It does show the name on top. I had my main library named "iTunes" - that is why it confused me.

7. simsaladimbamba

I have iTunes 10.5.1 on Mac OS X 10.6.8 and I didn't toggle anything. I just created this new library for the screenshot and even of I start iTunes with another library, it shows the correct name of the library.

8. GGJstudios, Jan 2, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2012

GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No, it's not. Your iTunes library can be in one location, your iTunes Media folder can be in another location, and a song can be in a 3rd location. One is not an indication of the others.

For example:

iTunes Library: /Users/myusername/Music/iTunes Libraries/iTunes Mac/iTunes Library
    iTunes Media folder: /Users/Shared/iTunes Music
    Song path: /Volumes/OWC 1TB/Music/iTunes External/Rock British Invasion/Beatles/Compilation & Live/1962-1966 (The Red Album) (Compilation)/CD2/Beatles 04 Day Tripper.mp3

9. gorskiegangsta macrumors 65816

gorskiegangsta

Yes, I understand how the file structure works :)

I merely thought - perhaps incorrectly - that the OP has their entire second library on the external (library, media and content) because that's the way I have it set up and it seemed logical in this context. My apologies.