Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

oujms1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 6, 2010
Hi, I'm trying to "lock" or "freeze" the first column in the spreadsheet I'm making so that it will always be on the left side of the sheet when I scroll right.
I cannot for the life of me figure out how though. Can anyone help?

mysterytramp

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2008
Maryland
There's an icon on the far right of the window. Click on it and you'll see "Freeze Header Columns" and you can vary the number of columns frozen.

Not an easy find. Not very intuitive. Not sure whether I found it in the documentation or possibly here on MR.

mt

Attachments

• Screen shot 2010-05-06 at 12.37.29 PM.png
    Screen shot 2010-05-06 at 12.37.29 PM.png
    20.9 KB · Views: 8,998
Reactions: TheHypnosisGuy

oujms1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 6, 2010
Thanks for that, now to find out how to get that icon to have a drop down arrow (obviously mine does not)............

Attachments

• Numbers Screen Shot.jpg
    Numbers Screen Shot.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 8,713

TheHypnosisGuy

macrumors newbie
Sep 29, 2017
There's an icon on the far right of the window. Click on it and you'll see "Freeze Header Columns" and you can vary the number of columns frozen.

Not an easy find. Not very intuitive. Not sure whether I found it in the documentation or possibly here on MR.

mt
Thanks, mysterytramp! Seven years after your post, I wanted to tell you it is *still* valuable! I, too, needed to find how to lock / freeze rows and columns. Much appreciated! Cheers - Matthew

Bytesmiths

macrumors newbie
Maybe ...

Off the top of my head, you COULD do this ...

Create a separate, one-column table of all your row labels and position that alongside the table with all your data.
Why didn't I think of that?

What I'm trying to do is slightly different, but your idea will probably do the job.

I have a graphic pasted on top of a frozen header column. But it moves as the sheet is scrolled horizontally, instead of sticking to the frozen column.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.