How do I make s data DVD backup with iDVD?

teabgs

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 18, 2002
behind you
So I thought I'd backup some important files easily with iDVD. Everything went well until I told it to burn. Then it said that there HAS to be one movie or slideshow in order to burn....

BUT I JUST WANT IT TO BE DATA.

iDVD doesnt care though....

How do I do it????

THANKS SO MUCH!

e-coli

macrumors 68000
Jul 27, 2002
iDVD is for making movies.

to make a data DVD, just insert the disk and use disk burner in the finder, just like a CD-ROM.

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2002
If you have Toast Titanium, you should be able to record data to your DVD much more easily than with iDVD. I don't have a computer with Superdrive, but I know Toast can do almost everything and everything else under the sun for CDs and DVDs.

If you want to back up data through other methods, you can use a special ethernet cable, or Firewire Target Disk Mode, to transfer your files.

Firewire

Gus

macrumors 65816
Jan 1, 2002
Minnesota
Listen to e-coli here. DVD data burning is supported right from the finder. All you have to do is drag and drop your data to the icon of the disc, and drag it to where the trash is in your dock. That's it.

Regards,
Gus

mmmdreg

macrumors 65816
Apr 14, 2002
Sydney, Australia
my mac has issues burning from the finder and sometimes from iTunes as well...i basically have to use the lowest speed from Toast to avoid stuffing the cd up..and these are decent quality cds too...the finder burning is the worst out of the lot..I think it should support multiple sessions as well..btw its an iMac 600 (G3) w/ 640MB

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Originally posted by mmmdreg
my mac has issues burning from the finder and sometimes from iTunes as well...i basically have to use the lowest speed from Toast to avoid stuffing the cd up..and these are decent quality cds too...the finder burning is the worst out of the lot..I think it should support multiple sessions as well..btw its an iMac 600 (G3) w/ 640MB
Admittedly I have a faster Mac, but I don't have any issues burning CDs or DVDs from the finder.

How old is your system? How heavily is the drive used? Could there be dirt on the laser lens? Do you have lots of other things running at the same time?

teabgs

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 18, 2002
behind you
Originally posted by jelloshotsrule
in toast... dvd is in the "other" drop down menu

also teabgs... check out americal.com for those 70 cent dvds....

good for data...
ah, word....I was wondering where to look to burn a DVD with toast...and thanks for the heads up!

u back in town?

teabgs

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 18, 2002
behind you
Originally posted by jelloshotsrule

no. thursday night. when we going to soho to check out new pbooks?
whenever theyre there......I'll be around, so when they get em, lemme know.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.