How do i make the dock invisible with just words instead of icons?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by equalsabracket, Oct 3, 2009.

1. equalsabracket macrumors regular

I've seen lots of docks in screenshots which don't have a dock background and have the app names instead of icons. How do i do this?

2. Ashka macrumors 6502a

Ashka

First Download some Text Icons:
    http://www.wekgna.com/blog/index.php/25-beautiful-text-dock-icons/

Then you can change the icons you have via copy & paste at the top of the 'Get Info' window of the icon and the folder. You may have to drag the changed folder/app icons down to your Dock from Finder after you have changed them.

The third party CandyBar app will have a few more options but I don't use it.
    Transparent Dock backgrounds need another third party app, again I don't give them HD space.

Make sure the apps, if used, work with your OS version.

3. i.shaun macrumors 6502a

i.shaun

To change a system icon like Finder, you may require a third party program like LiteIcon (Free) or CandyBar (Shareware).

You could change the system Icons on your own by Navigating to:
    HDD/System/Library/Core Services/Dock.app/Contents/Resources/

When you get to "Dock.app" Right click and "Show Package Contents" to continue to Resources. Look for "Finder.icns" and replace that. Make sure to keep the permissions EXACTLY the same on the new file.

EDITING SYSTEM FILES CAN CAUSE FINDER TO CRASH. It is wise to back up your system, and make sure you know exactly what you're doing before attempting to edit system files.

If you are unsure -- Use a third party app above to do it for you.