How do I migrate to a new hard drive without having to reinstall OS X *and* Windows?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Spanky Deluxe, Dec 23, 2008.

1. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

I've just ordered another drive since the 160gb I allocated to OS X of my primary drive's measly 250gb of space simply isn't enough. I'll likely change my old 750gb data drive into the new primary and use my new drive as a larger data drive. I'm not really fussed about changing the size of my Boot Camp partition - I just really don't want to go through the hasselhof of reinstalling Vista and updating it etc. If it wasn't for the boot camp partition then I'd simply do a direct copy of the stuff on the OS X partition to the new drive.

Any suggestions? I'll happily leave it sitting for a while copying stuff over but reinstalling and updating Vista, OS X and all my applications isn't really an option. :(

2. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

I would use Disk Utility to 'Restore' the old drive to the new one - it's very easy and works perfectly. I've done that at least two or three times, and it always works. Time consuming, but it works excellently. :)