How do I organize all my music in Finder by Album and NOT Artist?!!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by vader1990, Sep 1, 2009.

1. vader1990 macrumors regular

Hi,

I have over 20,000 songs in iTunes, and for some reason, all of them are organized in Finder [Finder>Music>iTunes>iTunes Music] by Artist. And its really annoying when trying to move a folder from one album rather than one artist!! I need to know how to change it so that iTunes organizes all those folders in Finder by Album.

B/c for a lot of songs for eg. one song by Artist A, one song by Artist B, and a third song duet by by both A and B, it makes 3 different folders for all 3 songs, so its uber hard to find what I want!!

Can someone please help me?

Thank you very very very very much =D

2. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

Generally you want to stay out of that folder.

But if you go into iTunes, for discs that have multiple artists such as soundtracks, you can select all the songs for that album and choose "Get Info". Then check the box for "Compilation". This should move all the songs into the Compilation folder on your hard drive with the album as the name of the folder instead of the artist.

Not sure those are the exact buttons but it should be easy to find.

3. Ooz Guest

I do not like this way of organizing music by iTunes, and hence I have set up iTunes (some preference under Advanced?) so that it doesn't arrange my music automatically. When I add music, I copy the files in a folder structure that I need, and then just import in iTunes.

Best way to "grab" the files you want under one album with multiple artists, you should filter for that album in iTunes, select the songs and copy/paste where ever you want.

If you rely on iTunes to organize your music, you have to rely on it to copy things out too.

Hope that helps (with understanding at least, I don't think that will help with your situation!).