How do I play music from my Mac's speakers, from an external device?

Drifty_Child

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 12, 2017
USA
MBP 2018/Mojave

I have a TV with poor speakers, which sits right next to my Macbook Pro. I want to make my Macbook Pro's speakers to play my TV's audio.

Both have a headphone jack. I've connected my TV's headphone jack to my computer's headphone jack with a 3.5mm cable. I want to make my computer play the sound coming from the TV, so that I can hear audio again. Ideally with no/minimal latency.

What do I need to do?

Extra Info:
In Sound preferences, my TV is listed as "External Headphones" under input. However, nothing except my computer's built-in speakers are shown in output.

Last edited:

MSastre

macrumors 6502a
Aug 18, 2014
MBP 2018/Mojave

I have a TV with poor speakers, which sits right next to my Macbook Pro. I want to make my Macbook Pro's speakers to play my TV's audio.

Both have a headphone jack. I've connected my TV's headphone jack to my computer's headphone jack with a 3.5mm cable. I want to make my computer play the sound coming from the TV, so that I can hear audio again. Ideally with no/minimal latency.

What do I need to do?

Extra Info:
In Sound preferences, my TV is listed as "External Headphones" under input. However, nothing except my computer's built-in speakers are shown in output.
Even if yiu get it to work, I seriously doubt you will be satisfied with sound quality running TV sound through your MBP. Why not get a separate speaker system for your TV? Much better solution.

Drifty_Child

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 12, 2017
USA
Even if yiu get it to work, I seriously doubt you will be satisfied with sound quality running TV sound through your MBP. Why not get a separate speaker system for your TV? Much better solution.
Because that'd cost money, and also, because I want to use bluetooth headphones (my TV is old and does not have bluetooth).

Fishrrman

macrumors P6
Feb 20, 2009
Get external speakers
or
Plug your headphones directly into the tv (should have a headphone outlet on the back?).
Use a headphone "extension cord" if the cord on the phones isn't long enough.

Last edited:

jerwin

macrumors 68020
Jun 13, 2015
all of the solutions cost money.

To get sound into your mac, you'll need a USB Audio Adapter with an input jack.

Cost, about 7 bucks if you aren't picky. Considerably more if you are.

or you'll need a bluetooth transmitter connected to your TV (also inexpensive) and an app along the lines of say Julius. (not free either)

Worse case scenario, you'll end up with a pile of useless junk that eats into your budget for buying a half decent pair of amplified speakers.