Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jvaska

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 18, 2002
I'm using Meteorologist in my menu bar at the top of my screen and it has a bug that causes it to hang the system when it can locate the server. It also causes most applications to fail launching.

But, I can't simply shut it off by using ctr+apple+esc. I can't throw it in the garbage because it says its launched.

How do I get to this, turn it off, or throw it away?

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
Can you hold the Command key and drag it away from the menu bar?

Can you switch to the application and quit it?

Can you disable that option in whatever application it is in?

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
Are you comfortable with using Terminal? If so...

1) Find its process ID by typing "ps -aux | grep -i meteor" (don't type the quotes though). It'll be the number in the first column.

2) Next type "kill nnnn", where nnnn is the process ID you got in step one. Note that some apps will require that you use "sudo", if it was running as root instead of as you. You can tell that by looking at the second column from step #1.

For the odd times #2 doesn't work, use "kill -9 nnnn" (or "sudo kill -9 nnnn") to kill it.

jvaska

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 18, 2002
@mechcozmo: it says the app is launched but I have no way to access it via any means...it doesn't even appear...

This probably wasn't the best thing to do, but I went to another account (which works fine) and trash the preference. The rebooted. Same problem. Then I went back to the other account and then trashed the appl. Reboot and still the same problem. And then, since they just released an updated app to deal with this issue, I copied in the new app. Still, same problem.

I can't launch the Finder to get access to Accounts so I can turn off the startup option that launches this thing.

@Westside guy: I'm handy with terminal, but I don't know alot of commands. I did exactly has you prescribed but it simply returned nothing - no results.

Anything else I can try?

lalcan

macrumors regular
Sep 8, 2003
Left of the center
I'd go into the users tab in System Preferences and remove it from the startup items, reboot and delete it for good.

On the other hand, are you absolutely shure it´s meteorologist the bad behaving app? i'm using it without any problem, either connected or disconnected from the ´net...

Good luck!

jvaska

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 18, 2002
Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's Meteorologist.

1. Had the problem a few days ago, trashed my preferences, it came back fine then.

2. They just released a non-beta version primarily to deal with this crashing issue (11/19).

As I mentioned, I can't get to the startup options for my account. This is really a pain in the ass.

Is there a way to edit a file that has that startup option? I wouldn't know exactly where to find that...

jvaska

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 18, 2002
Actually, I'm now positive that it's Meterologist.

For some unknown reason on a login Meteorologist launched (probably because it found it's server) and all was AOK again. Except, it's now uninstalled and off my machine. Problem solved.

Counterfit

macrumors G3
Aug 20, 2003
sitting on your shoulder
I've been using Meteorologist for about a month, I'm on version 1.4.0b2. I haven't seen any problems with crashing myself, but it does tend to eat RAM. Anyways, you can force quit apps from Activity Monitor as well, and it will show apps as hung if they are. And I DON'T mean "hung like a horse!"

MacBandit

macrumors 604
jvaska said:
Actually, I'm now positive that it's Meterologist.

For some unknown reason on a login Meteorologist launched (probably because it found it's server) and all was AOK again. Except, it's now uninstalled and off my machine. Problem solved.

As I mentioned WeatherMenu is a better version of the same idea IMO.

Also if you have an iPod there is an issue with it locking up iSync in the menubar and other menu apps around it when you open iTunes. I can't give you the exact circumstances of what leads up to the lock up as it seems to vary.

jvaska

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 18, 2002
Thanks folks for the advice. Don't have an iPod yet. I'll check out WeatherMenu too. ;)

It's really kind of strange that of the 7 times I had rebooted, that things started working again on a simple logging back into my account. I had been logged in, logged out to another account, then logged back in and voila then things worked again. Perhaps it's logical on some level, but the same process had been followed numerous times. ???

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.