How do I refresh my email on notofication drop-down menu?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by 3lite, Apr 25, 2012.

1. 3lite macrumors 6502a

3lite

I am on iOS 5.0.1.

How do I refresh/fetch my email on the drop-down notification bar?

Obviously, I can refresh my email from the Mail app itself... but if I can't do it from the drop-down menu I find it very much useless.

2. b24pgg macrumors 65816

I can't answer your question directly, but if you set up your email as an Exchange account rather than as IMAP or POP, you will be notified of new emails as they arrive.

3. 3lite thread starter macrumors 6502a

3lite

What are you talking about? I have auto-fetch off, meaning I manually have to check the Mail app to receive new emails. Are you saying that if I have my email setup as Exchange, I can receive emails automatically with fetching data off?

Still, for me the main question is it possible to refresh my email from the notification drop-down menu? Is there a Cydia tweak or something? Anything? What a useless update.

4. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

It's not possible to refresh the notification bar manually.
    That's not what it was designed for.
    It refreshes automatically when a new message or alert is received.

You want Intelliscreen or something similar.
    That requires a jailbreak.

5. b24pgg macrumors 65816

Yes. Exchange accounts use push as opposed to fetch.

6. 3lite thread starter macrumors 6502a

3lite

You can use push on anything (IMPAP, etc.)

It's a battery waster though.

7. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Well, look. You want instant e-mail notifications. That uses battery.

But you want to save battery...for that you have to give up instant notifications.

This is the trade-off every single one of us has to make. Some of us choose one, some of us choose the other. But you've gotta pick one. You can't magically have both. If you could that would be the default setting.

Just open Mail instead of the notifications. There's NEVER going to be a new mail notification in there with your settings, so just stop looking there.

8. AlphaVictor87 macrumors 6502a

AlphaVictor87

This is what i was thinking! how would he ever get a notification of a new email in the notification center if his email is set to manual fetch. Unless its on a scheduled fetch setting.

9. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Yes, with fetch turned on the question becomes a little different, which is what I originally thought.

But then he makes it clear later on that he has fetch turned off. This makes the answer much simpler: Just go to Mail.

Even if he could get the notification tray to do this it would do nothing other than insert a useless in-between step for him. Going straight to mail is going to be much faster.

10. 3lite thread starter macrumors 6502a

3lite

So what do you guys suggest? Should I do the timely fetch (every hour etc.) or have push on instead?

What consumes more battery in your experiences?

----------

Thanks for the clarifications. So, can someone tell me what is the point of the notification drop-down menu?

I should have just stayed on 4.2.6 and just downloaded lockinfo.

*facepalm*

11. AlphaVictor87 macrumors 6502a

AlphaVictor87

I have push on. Now i don't get a ton of emails per day, but my battery always lasts me the entire day.

If you really don't want to use push then yes a scheduled fetch would be the best option.

But if you wanted to refresh manually between the scheduled times, then you have to go to the mail app.

12. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

For people who use push email and thus would have messages loaded before opening the tray.

What you're asking for is the ability to open the notification tray, push a button there, and then load mail. For you, that's just a wasted step for no reason.

13. 3lite thread starter macrumors 6502a

3lite

So basically, I should have stayed on 4.2.6.

Now I have to live through the battery cry of my iPhone by having useless updates.

14. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

What?

If you have it set to manual like you said you shouldn't be getting updates.