How do i rip a TV show season dvd into individual episode files?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by DAAAAAAAVE, Feb 7, 2009.

1. DAAAAAAAVE macrumors regular

DAAAAAAAVE

I have the all three seasons of the Mighty Boosh and would really like to rip the files onto my computer so i can watch them on the run. I was just wondering if there was a program to do this that isnt to hard to use (me=noob). Thanks in advance

2. Molnies macrumors member

Handbreak is a free open-source application, it's simple and yet very powerful.

3. DAAAAAAAVE thread starter macrumors regular

DAAAAAAAVE

Already got handbrake but don't have any experience using it on anything but movies and am not sure how to set it to rip individual episodes. A walkthrough would be appreciated

4. Molnies macrumors member

When you open HandBreak it should pop up a window asking for the source (i.e. click on the DVD-disk). It scans the disk and it then shows you in the Title drop-down list which episodes/sections it found.
    There should be one for each episode, but there might also be some that are like 10s long (like an intro/background etc.). Just select the first episode you want to rip, use the Presets (if they are not visible, click the Toggle Presets in the toolbar) — like if you're going to play it on an iPhone, select the iPhone & iPod Touch preset. Then just name the episode and press "Start"

If you want to rip the entire DVD in a row, just use the Add to Queue feature to build up a queue before you hit Start.

That's basically it. You can go more into depth with picture quality, subtitles etc, but the presets works really well. Oh and if you're unsure if the episode (from the Title drop-down list) is the one you want, you can click on the Picture Settings... button on the lower right, this will show you 10 screen shots from that episode, so you can easily check that you've got the right one. (if you mess with any of the settings in that panel, just hit the Preset of choice again.)

5. DAAAAAAAVE thread starter macrumors regular

DAAAAAAAVE

6. DAAAAAAAVE thread starter macrumors regular

DAAAAAAAVE

OK so im doing it now and mine doesnt offer a drop down menu. I'm using the most current version (0.9.3). Should i just rip chapters (e.g chapters 1 to 1, 2 to 2 etc..) or is there an easier way to do it?

sorry i think i have found it. will inform on how i go

7. DAAAAAAAVE thread starter macrumors regular

DAAAAAAAVE

yep all good. ready for portable booshing. happy days. thanks heaps