How do I rip DVD to my iMac so I can put movie on iPad?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by danmc00, Jun 30, 2010.

1. danmc00 macrumors regular

Sorry, I am a newbie with the iMac still. I have a couple of DVDs that I want to load onto my iPad. How should I go about doing this?
    Thanks for the help.

2. chainprayer macrumors 6502a

Handbrake has always been awesome for me. Love the built in settings templates that make it work great on any device.

3. Sedulous macrumors 68000

Sedulous

I second this advice. Handbrake works very well.

4. donuttakedonuts macrumors regular

5. DAPWNER macrumors member

6. danmc00 thread starter macrumors regular

I downloaded Handbrake. Are there any tutorials on how to use it? I tried to insert a DVD but couldn't figure it all out.

7. ARF900 macrumors 65816

ARF900

You need VLC media player to use handbrake, do you have that??

Put a DVD in the mac then launch handbrake in the drop down window the disc should be there, select it then in the upper right corner click toggle presets, then hit Apple/Universal

Then select a file destination and in the upper left corner press start, and thats all there is too it! It may take a while.

8. danmc00 thread starter macrumors regular

Awesome....I figured out how to burn it all last night, but I wasn't sure about the output settings. So for the iPad, I want to choose Apple Universal?

9. ARF900 macrumors 65816

ARF900

yes Apple Universal will give you a file that you can import into iTunes and then sync to your ipad.

The only reason you would choose either iPod or iPhone would be to make the file smaller, but the iPhone iPod presets might not give you a video with high enough quality for the iPads screen so just stick with Apple Universal.

10. kukukachoo macrumors newbie

Handbrake doesn't work

I downloaded handbrake and vlc but when I try to open my dvd in handbrake it says that I need vlc or the newer version of vlc, which I definitely have. Any ideas how to fix this?

11. ARF900 macrumors 65816

ARF900

Are you using 64 bit? I dont believe handbrake is compatible with 64 bit VLC.
    As far as version the current release of VLC is version 1.1.0 (according to the VLC updater). I am using version 1.0.3 and it works fine. Make sure you have 32 bit.

12. 184550 Guest

I'll vouch for RipIt. Love it since they added the compression feature.

13. danmc00 thread starter macrumors regular

I've ripped several DVD's now, but my only problem is that I have to turn iPad volume all the way up to hear them comfortably. Is there a setting when I am ripping them to add more volume?

14. ARF900 macrumors 65816

ARF900

Not that I know of, but I know what you mean I have the problem too, ill look into it later and if I find a fix ill post it.