How do I stop iTunes downloading HD versions of every TV show i buy?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Source, Sep 21, 2008.

1. Source macrumors member

Hi all, :)

Every time I buy a TV show which has HD, I downloads two versions. I don't even want the HD version as I watch the shows on the way to work with my iPod. When I simply 'delete' the HD shows from my downloads list, they show up again whenever I turn on iTunes or check for old purchases.

How can I stop iTunes from downloading the HD versions? It's extremely annoying!

2. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

I hope you do know that you can buy the TV show in standard definition for $1.99 instead of HD for $2.99? It won't download the HD version, then.

3. Source thread starter macrumors member

No i didn't - it lists most tv shows as 2.99 now - are the standard versions also there?

4. hvfsl macrumors 68000

hvfsl

There is a link you can click on to switch to the SD version of the show.

5. mudmanmike macrumors newbie

I too have the problem of getting stuck with HD downloads. There are 4 Heros HD versions that Itunes has been trying to download for over 4 months. Everytime I delete them from the "downloading list" they come back up later. My connection is not fast enough to allow the download to take place so I need to remove them from the "to be downloaded" list. But I cannot find it.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
    Mike

6. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

HD versions are $2.99. The standard ones are $1.99. There usually a link 'This show is also available in Standard Definition'.

7. rjphoto macrumors 6502a

rjphoto

I had the same problem with a free download.
    I finally just let it down load over night.

But next time look up where it shows "others who bought this show also bought..." and you will see the SD link.

8. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Zoink. The SD versions are always available for HD shows, for no other reason than you get the SD version as well for iPod use. When you're on a show's page to buy it, there's an "also available in SD" link to the right of where the album cover art is. That'll take you to a different page where it's all SD and all cheaper.

9. mudmanmike macrumors newbie

Thanks for the help so far.

I know that I can buy only the SD version in the future. My problem now is I have these 5 huge downloads that will not go away. Even if I let it go over night it would take several nights. Is there NO WAY to stop the shows from popping up in the down load list. I bought these shows months ago!

Mike

10. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Not really, I suppose you could email the iTunes support folks and ask them to remove them from your list.

However you paid the extra price for the quality of the HD show - I'd be more inclined to just let them download.

Unless you live in Australia like me where we can only dream of having a cap of 250GB a month. Most of us are on 1GB or thereabouts. My folks are way ahead of the curve with 25GB monthly so guess who hits up the iTunes store when he goes home to visit the family?

It's me. I do.

11. mudmanmike macrumors newbie

Thanks for the help so far.

I know that I can buy only the SD version in the future. My problem now is I have these 5 huge downloads that will not go away. Even if I let it go over night it would take several nights. Is there NO WAY to stop the shows from popping up in the down load list. I bought these shows months ago!

Mike

12. mudmanmike macrumors newbie

sorry i did not mean to double post. Thanks, I guess will have to do that. the real problem is that it takes most of the night to download my NPR news podcasts. So if I download the shows I will loose my news for a week! Bummer. That seems like an odd situation. oh well.

I do appreciate the help,
    Mike

13. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

You can email iTunes support and they will refund your account for the undownloaded episodes and then they can charge you for the downloading the episodes. Afterwards, just buy the regular version.