How do I stop my 3G asking to set up as a new phone or restore every time I connect?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by badgerman, Sep 1, 2008.

1. badgerman macrumors 6502a

So I am on my 3rd 3G after numerous unknown issues that the genius bar thought were due to my app, but they gave me new phones regardless. Each time I have set up as a new phone due to the worry that a back up was corrupted or that an app was.

Today my 3G is working fine with all my apps, however every time I connect to itunes it asks me to either start as new phone or to restore. Having done both twise the second time puting it in DFU mode, neither stop it asking the same question when I reconnect; set up the new phone or restore from a BU.

I have deleted all my apps, and redownloaded them via itunes.

I wish it would stop going into restore mode. I have never loved and hated a phone so much.

2. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

Try wiping your phone clean, removing all backups from the iTunes preferences menu and then create a fresh one by setting up the phone as new?

3. badgerman thread starter macrumors 6502a

Many thanks will try.

How do I wipe the phone when my only option in itunes is set up as new phone or restore from a BU?

4. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

from the phone itself. I assume you can use the phone itself, so go to settings>general>reset>erase all contents & settings.

Be warned though this will wipe the entire phone of any data, so make sure you have a backup of your contacts/calender/media in addressbook/iCal etc

5. Espo macrumors 6502

I have encountered this problem several times. What you do is restore the phone from the latest sync so all ur info will be on the new phone. Then it will ask u again to restore or setup as new. Set the phone up as new and then sync it. That should work.

6. badgerman thread starter macrumors 6502a

OK, will do.

Shame I have to start again for the 3rd time. Is that Apples responsibility to support me or could my PC have done something wrong?

7. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

Apple should support but they probably don't know to fix it either. I'm just telling you what worked for me. Some have also tried Espo's suggestion and it worked for them, some have said it works temporarily until you try to restore the phone again.

I think wiping the slate clean might be a good solution (worked for me) but i could be wrong.

8. gldelx macrumors member

mine did something similar when I restored it. Following erasing everything and reloading from the backup, it would not get past that screen in iTunes you are getting. my phone appeared to have everything installed, but iTunes kept asking if I wanted to restore from a backup (5 minutes earlier or the previous night) or set up a new iPhone. Finally chose setup new and it took all the backup info and was done in like 5 seconds. It seemed to be a glitch but choosing setup new cleared that screen and the phone had all the backup info.