Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jammeygit

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 27, 2009
Does anyone have any ideas as to how to store dvd's on my timecapsule to save space on my imac but watch them on my apple tv???

please help

thanks

spice weasel

macrumors 65816
Jul 25, 2003
First you need to rip and transcode your DVDs. Use HandBrake to do this. To make most efficient use of your time, use a ripping program (Mac the Ripper, RipIt, etc.) to rip a bunch of DVDs and then queue them up in HandBrake to encode overnight or while you are at work. If you are just going to use an AppleTV, use the ATV preset in HandBrake. If you want to watch them on an iPod/iPhone as well, use the Universal preset.

Tag your files if you like, using MetaX.

Copy your files to your Time Capsule. Then add them to your iTunes library by either holding the option key while dragging them or by going into iTunes prefs-->advanced and deselecting the "copy to iTunes..." box.

Sync your ATV so it knows where all your files are and you are set.

jammeygit

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 27, 2009
hey thanks for the reply... made sense of the first part.. Sorry am not so clued up for the later part... so I drop them on to my TC (anywhere in particular?) then what do I do... sorry to be a dunse...

thanks

Bye Bye Baby

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2004
i(am in the)cloud
Do you want to put your whole iTunes library on he TC or just a few films?

If you put the whole library on the TC you can point iTunes to the TC and it will access you library from there.

Let us know.

pacmania1982

macrumors 65816
Nov 19, 2006
Birmingham, UK
I've got a 1.5TB external drive that houses my media (Movies/TV Shows and Music) which I've added to iTunes (I've turned off the preference in iTunes to copy files to my library when adding to the library). I then have my Apple TV synched, which streams the content through the Mac mini to the Apple TV.

I would advise you do the same if possible.

Mount your Time Capsule on the desktop in the Finder, create your own structure, turn off the option in iTunes to copy files when adding to your library, then sync with your Apple TV

Hope this makes sense

pac

:D:D:D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.