How do I tell if I have the academic version of Final Cut Studio?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Cromulent, Mar 17, 2009.

1. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

I bought Final Cut Studio 1 on eBay on the cheap about 3 or 4 years ago and with the recent rumours of Final Cut Studio 3 I would like to upgrade. Is there anything on the box which states whether it is the academic version or not?

Thanks for any help.

2. iJED DV macrumors member

iJED DV

Yes, there should be a sticker on the box that says Academic in the lower right corner. Also, if you look at the booklet that has the serial number sticker on it, it will say Final Cut Studio Academic and the serial number. It's been a while since I've used my academic version, but I believe the start-up screen for Final Cut Studio also mentions that it is the academic version.

3. Cromulent thread starter macrumors 603

Cromulent

Ah cool thanks. Looks like I have the retail copy then.

Oddly though, I bought Logic Studio 8 when I was at Uni from the higher education store and that also does NOT show any academic stuff anywhere in the places mentioned above. Did I luck out and they sent me a retail copy by mistake?

4. Macpropro80 macrumors 6502

I have the magical NFR sticker on mine. Thank You apple, I owe you one.

5. pilotError macrumors 68020

pilotError

When they came out with the Intel version of FCS2, they sent out the full retail version, even if you upgraded from an Academic version. That program lasted only about a month or so.

6. Cromulent thread starter macrumors 603

Cromulent

Thanks guys. Looks like I have been extremely lucky and have the full retail copies of each for £300 total :).