How do I tell if I REFURBISHED iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by marcmarcdv45, Jan 28, 2012.

1. marcmarcdv45 macrumors member

I just got my iPhone replaced with an anther iPhone.

My 1st iPhone have an serial number start with c39gw that I brought brand new and now I've got an serial number start with DGgh does that mean it REFURBISHED cos the serial number don't match..... All my other iPhone that I've have had replaced with the apple store start with c39.. This has all happend within an month

2. miragebg macrumors 6502a

No connection between S/Ns. Mine starts with DNP and it is brand new. I had brand new C39 also.

3. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

yes it is likely a refurb ... they do not replace used iPhones with brand new

4. marcmarcdv45 thread starter macrumors member

I've had my iPhone replaced 4 times now an every time the serial number start with c39 why has that change these time?

5. Mikesus macrumors 6502

You do know that its "technically" not a refurb its remanufactured.

Whats the difference?

Well, they put brand new parts over parts that have been tested good. (that is why I laugh all the time when people ocd over searching for scratches on Apple refurb!)

So, what's wrong with a refurb?

6. marcmarcdv45 thread starter macrumors member

Nothing I just wanted to know why my serial number has change when all the other times it had c39 an now different

7. reclusive46 macrumors 65816

reclusive46

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A406 Safari/7534.48.3)

I was actually lucky when mine needed replacing. They were out of stock of replacement models and he said he'd have to reorder. I complained. He spoke to manger and just took an iPhone out of a new box.

8. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

The serial number doesn't matter in this case. When you get a replacement they most likely just grab the first one that is for your carrier and has the same capacity. The fact that the other phones had a similar serial number is probably just a coincidence.

9. marcmarcdv45 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for that. Anther question the top volume button seem sticky . Should I take it back or just leave it?

10. gladoscc macrumors 6502

It depends on when you need replacing.

Within 30 days: New one.

After 30 days: Refurb.

Why? Cause otherwise you'd just return it, get a refund, and buy a new one if you're within 30 days.

----------

How sticky is it? My 4S home button doesn't go as deep, but it works.

11. marcmarcdv45 thread starter macrumors member

I got to hard on the button before it worke

12. 4sFanatic macrumors regular

Why have you replaced your iphone 4 times :confused:

13. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Judging by his posts he obviously has some OCD issues he needs to deal with.
    Looking to replace his phone for the 5th time now:rolleyes:
    I bet even after 100 replacements he will not find a "perfect" iphone.

14. marcmarcdv45 thread starter macrumors member

Have had the phone overheating.. Volume button don't work and couldn't get my fone to connect to the 3G..

15. greygray macrumors 68000

greygray

Uh for all models? It seems rather unfortunate that all the iPhones you've been getting are lemons, but if it's OCD... I've nothing else to say.

16. marcmarcdv45 thread starter macrumors member

Yep.. All the same model.. How unlucky am I?

Question thought on replaced fone is the Battery brand new or is 2nd hand?

17. Rampant.A.I. macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4s: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Sounds like its refurbished with a second hand battery. Also, something seems horribly wrong with autocorrect. You better take it in for an exchange right away.

18. zigzagg321 macrumors 6502

Really? Then how were there 4Ss available for service replacement on 4s launch day? And on 4 launch day and on 3GS launch day and so on.

19. /user/me macrumors 6502

That is incorrect. I had my phone replaced with a new one in December. Check your facts. After a certain time, yes they do, but not right away. They need to build up the stock of refurbished phones first. Even then, there's no difference between new and refurbished. In fact, I've had less problems with my refurbished apple devices than my new apple devices.

20. Mikesus macrumors 6502

Well I have been a huge fan of refurb, til today.

I exchanged my 4s with a broken speaker and it came in a refurb box with some woman's name on it from CA and her cell number. (I am in NC) My receipt that was emailed also had her name and cell number on it.

The phone is fine, but as to privacy... ummm not sure?

21. bryanc28 macrumors 6502

bryanc28

I thought refurbs or "replacement units" were stringently looked over? I really have my doubts that the replacement phones are given new batteries, screens, casing...well, maybe the obvious broken ones...

22. Mikesus macrumors 6502

first time anything like this happened... Store manager called asked for a rundown of what happened but never said he would swap the phone out. It seems to work fine, so I am not going to stress over it...

23. Scarrus macrumors regular

This

You sold me a new product which doesn't work properly, so change it with a new one that does, not a repaired one!

24. itjw macrumors 65816

WRONG...

Nowhere in your warranty or otherwise does it indicate you are owed a "new" product if yours fails for any reason...

Apple owes you a FIX. You aren't giving them a brand new phone, you are giving them a USED one for warranty work. If it's within 30 days you can just return it, if not, get over the "I need a new one because I can't have a refurb... Apple owes me a new one because mine had a problem... wah wahhhh".

It's absolutely hillarious when people start these "is mine a refurb?" threads... if you can't tell, why care in the first place??? I would understand if it had a big gouge in it, or functioned differently... but come on, even you can't tell (and obviously you are anal if you are asking in the first place... not a bad thing, just pointing that out lol).

Sheesh people. You don't get a whole new car if your alternator fails... you get a new alternator and the same USED car you drove in with.

If there are ANY issues with the refurb, Apple will gladly give you another...

25. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

Wrong. Apple's only responsibility in this situation is to provide the customer with something that looks and performs exactly as it should. If a remanufactured phone does that, then Apple has every right to supply the customer with one.