How do I transfer all of the data from an old iPhone to a new one?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Zen Desk Pro, Sep 28, 2015.

1. Zen Desk Pro macrumors member

Hey guys,

I've never "backed up" my iPhone because I've never really had a reason to. However, I'm expecting a new iPhone to be coming in the mail today and I'd like to know how I can basically transfer everything - contacts, text threads, pictures, apps, search histories, emails, music, account/password memorization etc. all on to my new phone?

Is there such a way? I can always re-download apps, but is there any way I can get text threads and histories all backed up on to my new phone?

If so, how do I do it?

Thank you!

2. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

Backup - either iCloud or iTunes. I prefer iTunes encrypted backup so it transfers my health data. You will need to renter your Apple ID password. But others should be brought in. A few app passwords may need to be renter.

3. Zen Desk Pro thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for quick response.

When I plug in my iPhone and open up iTunes, what do I click on? And when I plug in my new phone and open iTunes, how do I get the data on to the new phone?

And will it retain all of my text history and emails and everything else listed?

4. Spink10, Sep 28, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2015

Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

Screen Shot 2015-09-28 at 12.33.33 PM.png Screen Shot 2015-09-28 at 12.33.50 PM.png
    Yes. Let me jump on my desktop and provide you will screen shots
    Connect iPhone to Mac
    Open iTunes
    Select "iPhone" icon - First post - red circle
    2nd picture - Select where you want to backup to - iCloud or Computer - then hit the "Back Up Now" tab.
    When you get your new iPhone connect it to Mac
    Open iTunes
    Turn on iPhone
    You will get a screen on iTunes that says - Setup as new or Restore from back (may not be exact words) - choose restore from backup and select the correct backup (for example I have 3 iPads and 2 iPhones backed up and would need to select the correct one).

If you mess up at any time you can always hit - "Restore iPhone" tab (located int he 2nd screenshot upper right corner and reattempt to restore via backup.

5. Zen Desk Pro thread starter macrumors member

Very simple and easy to understand!

Thanks for this. I guess while I'm at it, I'll back up all of my other devices.

Thanks again.

6. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

You're welcome. You should be frequently backing up your iDevices if you value your text messages, photos, (may be others thing) but that is why I backup. I pull the pictures off every couple months but in-between I don't have anything else to recover them except this backup. (I don't do iCloud because I'm cheap). :)