How do I transfer my itunes from my 08 MBP to my new 27" iMac?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by BXPhoto, Oct 12, 2012.

1. BXPhoto macrumors newbie

So just got my new iMac yesterday. What is the safest/most reliable way to transfer my iTunes/iPhone information from my previous mac to my iMac? I really don't want to lose any of my contacts, calendar or apps.

thanks guys

2. xplnusa macrumors regular

3. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

You ignored Setup Assistant when you turned on the new machine for the first time. It asked if you wanted to migrate from another Mac and you chose no. Now that the new machine is setup use Spotlight and type in Migration Assistant and follow the on-screen directions. If you need additional information please read Pondini's excellent guide:

http://pondini.org/OSX/Setup.html

4. signatus macrumors member

signatus

I have the same question. I'm currently using a 2008 MBP, running Snow Leopard + Time Capsule. When the new iMacs come this month (fingers crossed :D) I'll get one, running Mountain Lion. I know I could use a Thunderbolt connection between my old MBP and my new iMac, but I wonder if it wouldn't be even easier with the Time Capsule.

P.S.: if new iMacs don't arrive, I'll have the same question, but with a new MBP.

5. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

Please read my last post, the answer is right there!

6. NorCalLights macrumors 6502a

Migrating from a Time Machine backup will transfer your iTunes library to your new machine.