How do I transfer songs etc from my old PC laptop to my new macbook pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Tony7, Jan 23, 2011.

1. Tony7 macrumors newbie

I have itunes on my old PC laptop which I purchased songs and videos and is synced with my iphone. I would like to transfer the stuff from my old laptop to my macbook can anyone help me how I do this please.
    I would like to transfer it over wi-fi is this possible maybe via home sharing or maybe I could sync my iphone to new mac would that work?

2. iPhoneCollector macrumors 6502a

iPhoneCollector

search the "itunes media" folder and copy its content to an external hhd/ssd and paste it to your macs itunes media folder its that simple.

3. Tony7 thread starter macrumors newbie

I dont have an external hard drive :( Can I not send the files over via home sharing or click on import songs from the itunes menu?

4. iPhone1 macrumors 65816

iPhone1

Try using Dropbox. It may take awhile but it's free.

5. Tony7 thread starter macrumors newbie

What's dropbox sorry? I don't know much about itunes and dont know anything at all about macs sorry being dumb :(

6. ender land macrumors 6502a

7. ender land macrumors 6502a

Also, there may be a way to utilize the built in dropbox function on your mac - if your windows computer can detect the mac you should find a folder called dropbox you can put all your music into, and then move it to the right folder on the mac.

8. Tony7 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your help much appreciated. When I turned home sharing on my pc connected with my mac I tried to copy songs over but first 2 songs were the same songs and then it stopped sending the rest over so think must be a way can be done over wi-fi but will try dropbox in a bit thank you.

9. bobr1952 macrumors 68020

bobr1952

I know you don't have an external drive, but they are pretty inexpensive--and iTunes likes to have a place to call home. So if you move all of your music to another locations, then can just set that new home--in iTunes preferences, advanced features--to the folder on your external drive. That's what I plan to do when I get my Macbook Air. :)

10. Tony7 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks I might do that with the external hard drive as you can pick them up cheap now days. I dont have important files so is it better to get a cheap external hard drive or should I buy a time capsule?

11. bobr1952 macrumors 68020

bobr1952

For this you should just get an external drive--whatever size fits your need--and use that to store your music. But you should still backup any music somewhere else--another drive or on one of your computers in case your external drive fails. And you should use something with your Time Machine for regular backups of your computer as well--not necessarily a Time Capsule--but some external drive to do that. But that solution won't help your iTunes problem.