How do I turn off the MBP built-in display when connected to an external monitor?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by andrewwg94, Nov 21, 2010.

1. andrewwg94 macrumors member

WITHOUT closing the lid, because i like using the touchpad. i know that you can turn the brightness all the way down, but sometimes windows from the main screen randomly open on the other display. and it also slows down performance. i want to turn off the 13" screen as if the lid was closed. that way, the mac doesn't even see it. is that possible?

2. RaceTripper macrumors 68030

Close the lid while the external monitor is active. Once the MBP resyncs to just the ext display you can pull the MPB lid open again. As long as you don't refresh monitors you should be OK.

3. andrewwg94 thread starter macrumors member

thanks for the reply, but i'm confused. when i close the lid, it instantly goes to sleep. when i open it back up, it goes back to how it was..

4. RaceTripper macrumors 68030

I do this all the time, but I have an external keyboard and mouse attached. Maybe that makes the difference, since I use a keytap or mouse click to wake it up with the lid closed. Once it wakes up I can open the lid again.

5. andrewwg94 thread starter macrumors member

my problem was that i had the displays set on extend, not mirror. this helped me out:

http://hints.macworld.com/article.php?story=20060607121656766

for some reason, if you have them set on extend, the main display will turn back on after waking

6. RaceTripper macrumors 68030

Mine is on extend. If I close the lid, let it wake up again, and reopen the lid it works just fine with video on the external display only. I've been doing this for a while.