How do I unlock iPhone 3Gs on 3.1.3 with baseband 05.12.01?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by h4lp m3, Jun 29, 2011.

1. h4lp m3, Jun 29, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2011

h4lp m3 macrumors 6502

I still have 3.1.3 and never upgraded. How do I unlock this with Mac? Do I need to upgrade my firmware?

Which version of pwnagetool do i use? I tried 3.1.5 as per instructions on this page and restore to iPhone2,1_3.1.3_7E18_Restore.ipsw and it said "SRY I HAZ FAIL!!1"

please help me, i don't want zune!

2. ylerT macrumors regular

ylerT

If you want to stay on 3.1.3 you can jailbreak using Spirit or Jailbreakme.com and then just install ultrasn0w for the unlock.

If you're ok with upgrading to 4.3.3 then use the latest version of pwnagetool and create a custom firmware. I'd say go ahead with this because your using a 3Gs and they run 4.3.3 just fine. Since you'll be creating a custom firmware, it won't update your baseband and you can just install ultrasn0w after you've restored to the jailbroken/custom firmware.

3. h4lp m3, Jun 29, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2011

h4lp m3 thread starter macrumors 6502

jailbreakme.com is broken. it says no seriously, It's been far too long and then a bunch of code.

It says that Spirit program is untethered... That's a bad thing, right?

4. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

Untethered is a good thing. With an untethered jailbreak you can turn the device on and off without using the software to boot it up.

Or since you mentioned you have a Mac, you can use the latest version of PwnageTool and upgrade to 4.3.3

You'll preserve your current baseband by making a custom ipsw and you can still unlock with ultrasn0w.

5. sbddude macrumors 6502a

This.

I just did the exact same thing to my moms phone and it went perfectly.

6. ylerT macrumors regular

ylerT

My apologies, I completely forgot about him changing the jailbreakme page.

Anyhow, here's a guide from iClarified http://iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=14573&laid= that will tell you how to update to 4.3.3 without updating your baseband. This would be your best option IMO.

7. h4lp m3, Jul 4, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2011

h4lp m3 thread starter macrumors 6502

OK, first, I jailbroke with Spirit and installed the repo666.ultrasn0w package, but something must have went wrong because it gets stuck on the Apple logo with a frozen spinning wheel.

So now, I followed that iClarified tutorial exactly and now I'm getting iTunes error 1600 when I try to restore in DFU mode and 21 when I try to restore from Recovery mode.

Am I missing something? Do I actually need to upgrade my firmware first? Did I brick my phone?

Edit: Just tried it again with pawnagetool 4.3.3 and got error 1601. :confused:

8. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

Check your host file. If you search MR, you'll find posts on what the host file should look like.

9. h4lp m3 thread starter macrumors 6502

Well, since no one could help me unbrick my phone, so I used iTunes to restore and now I have 4.3.3 with baseband 05.16.02 and my iPhone says "NO SERVICE" :(

I really wish someone would write exact step by step instructions that would actually work. Instead I get "search the forums"... For what? :confused: Guess my only option now is to shove iPad baseband in my fone and lose my GPS... Or is that no longer an option?

10. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

Don't blame us please. You probably did something incorrectly. It's not our fault that you lost your unlockable baseband.

You can still use Redsn0w to install the iPad baseband. I would jailbreak with jailbreakme.com first and then use Redsn0w version 0.9.6b6 to install the baseband. I'm only recommending this because I've heard there have been some reported issues with the newer Redsn0w and the iPad baseband file fetching. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

11. labman macrumors 604

labman

sorry for your troubles but you you expect us to wright out a detailed guide for every newbie or everybody that ask. :rolleyes: A simple search would have lead you to many step by step guides such as Iclarified.com there or www.redmondpie.com Youtube has tons of video guides as well. truth is you rushed in before doing proper research asking strangers for help. Problem is people rush into jailbreaking and unlocking before they know what they are doing. expecting us to answer everybody likes it's the 1st time rather then goggling the answer or searching the forum for the 100 plus threads on this before. never rush when doing something important.

edit saw you used Iclarified if you fallowed it step by step all should have gone well. I highly doubt anybody here can make a step by by guide better then Iclarified. At least thousands before you have used there guide.

12. Epic Orange, Jul 6, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2011

Epic Orange macrumors member

Epic Orange

13. ann713 macrumors 6502a

I thought any version and baseband (3GS) can be unlocked now? If not, which ones to stay away from?

14. labman macrumors 604

labman

05.16.02 can not be unlocked he has no choice but Ipad baseband 06.15.00. this is what he is complaining about in post #9. basically it's our fault for not gibing him detailed step by step instructions.

Epic Orange that won't help he is now 4.3.3 with 05.16.02.

15. Epic Orange macrumors member

Epic Orange

The iPhone 3GS is still a playable device with jailbreaking and iOS version/baseband, since it is supported iOS 5 and since their was a new set of shipping that prompting a new bootrom and model number, so it is not as easy as the iPhone 3G/2G and iPod Touch 1/2. Essentially, as long as you have not updated to a current iOS firmware, there should be an unlock below 4.3.3 [iOS 4.0 >4.2.1 > (I assume)]. Check out my post above for links on unlocking iPhone 3GS if you need a start on unlocking. (if you need it...)

16. Epic Orange macrumors member

Epic Orange

I am sorry. I do not check out the in between posts.

17. h4lp m3 thread starter macrumors 6502

not blaming anyone... just funny cause someone on y! said "no one there will help you, even if they could" and it came true :(

18. ylerT macrumors regular

ylerT

No offense but you were given the exact instructions through the iClarified link I provided you. There is no reason for someone here to give you a "step by step guide" when there's tons of them already out (which we gave you the link to). Even with the issue you ran into, there are probably hundreds of threads and sites across the web explaining how to fix the 1600 errors. If you had done a quick Google search you could have solved that problem in just a couple minutes. You obviously did not restore your iPhone with the custom firmware created by pwnagetool. If you had, you'd still have your old baseband and be perfectly fine.

IMO you should not be saying that you weren't helped here because there is over 5 members in this thread alone that gave you instruction or insight on how to do what you asked.

19. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

It would probably be a good idea to start. :p

20. SonqueMonkey macrumors newbie

Problem regarding ultrasn0w unlock for iPhone 3Gs, 3.1.3, 05.12.01

Okay, so I am newbie, but I promise I did my research. currently I have an iphone that does not have a carrier. It's my dad's old phone. As stated above, it is a 3gs, with ios 3.1.3 and baseband 05.12.01 (I think that's the right terminology, sorry if I messed that up).

Anyway, I came across this website, that discusses the ability to unlock my phone after it has been jailbroken (which I have already done). the website is:

http://www.unlock-iphonesoftware.co...are-3-1-3-and-baseband-5-12-01/#comment-11491

Anyway, I did as instructed and everything was working great. I used cydia to add source (repo666.ultrasn0w.com). I had seen these instructions stated previously for other basebands that did not include mine, so I triply checked to make sure 05.12.01 was included. I installed ultrasn0w and it asked to reboot.

BUT, something then went wrong. It is stuck on a black screen with a spinning wheel.

Any suggestions?

21. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

Try doing a hard reboot to see if it comes back on. Otherwise you can upgrade to 4.3.3 using PwnageTool (mac) or Sn0wbreeze (windows)

You'll preserve your baseband and be able to unlock.

22. SonqueMonkey macrumors newbie

23. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

Good to hear :D