How do I unlock my Iphone 4 I bought from Ebay with baseband 3.10.1?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by AbyssImpact, Jan 29, 2011.

1. AbyssImpact macrumors 6502a

I bought an Iphone 4 on ebay. It is running 4.1 firmware and is currently locked to AT&T carrier. It is an Ipod touch right now, when will there be an unlock?

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You cannot right now.
    Noone knows when the next unlock will be out.

3. AbyssImpact thread starter macrumors 6502a

so basically this will be a $400 ipod touch?

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Not forever but you did get it for good price.

5. CZK macrumors 6502a

i do know when ... SOON

6. Wowzera macrumors 6502a

LOL

Yea, according to the jb hackers that have a ready-to-release (soon) unlock and untethered jailbreak it will come SOON.

Dev-team, Chronic-team, Comex, Geohot and Pod2G. They all have untethered jailbreaks for 4.2.1.

But there's a surprise... I have a exploit that let me do a untethered jailbreak too. I will release soon (together with unlock for newest baseband).

7. CZK macrumors 6502a

Call it Br0wnRa1n in the honnor of Dev-Team

8. Wowzera macrumors 6502a

s00nRa1n will be a better honnor for them :D

9. wingsabr macrumors 6502

wingsabr

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Soon ;D

10. DarkCloud2015 macrumors member

DarkCloud2015

I'd really love to see what all the Dev Team haters here would do if the so hated Dev Team is the first to release untethered JB or unlock. We probably won't hear much from them for a few weeks :D

11. Wowzera macrumors 6502a

Yea, they will release soon.

12. spsmith22 macrumors newbie

I've got an iphone4 noob question. I've been using an AT&T jailbroken 3G forever and I'm totally happy with it. However, I purchased an iphone4 (also At&T) today and am reading that you can't currently unlock them. I bought this phone solely for the purpose of selling it. I'm wondering if I should leave it sealed and sell it on ebay or open it and jailbreak/unlock it to try to get more money for it. Does anyone have any insight on this? Can it be unlocked? If not, is there any value to opening the packaging to jailbreak before selling? Thanks!

13. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I would leave it sealed and unopened and sell it like that.
    You will not be able to unlock it at the moment even if you open it so it would be pointless.

14. Maverick1337 macrumors 65816

Maverick1337

In the instance an unlock does come out for it, wouldn't it be better to open it, jailbreak/unlock it, then put it back in the box and sell a Brand New In-Box iPhone 4 unlocked? Because just a stand alone brand new in-box iPhone 4 won't sell much because it's locked but when the unlock comes out, unlock it and then sell it.

15. spsmith22, Jan 31, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2011

spsmith22 macrumors newbie

How often do these "unlocks" come out? I'm not even sure what any of this means because there weren't any of these barriers when I jailbroke my 3G. Does a new "unlock" code come out to for each software update or something? I'm not even sure what software mine is running because it's still in the box.

EDIT: I found this website for unlocking. http://www.unlock-apple-iphone.com/ Does it actually work for new iphone 4s? Or are these types of sites a scam?

16. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, once an unlock is out for a newer firmware and baseband version I'd open it and unlock it.
    But for now there isnt any of that available so if I were to sell it now I'd leave it sealed.

Scam, dont fall for it.

17. spsmith22 macrumors newbie

Is there any way to find out what firmware/baseband is on the phone without opening it? Is it safe to assume that it's both of the newest versions since I just bought it?

18. spsmith22 macrumors newbie

One last question; If I have the newest firmware, can this iphone 4 be jailbroken (not unlocked)? If so, is there a particular jailbreak or do they all pretty much work (blackra1n, redsnow, pwnage, etc.)?

Thanks!

19. DarkCloud2015 macrumors member

DarkCloud2015

I bought mine in December and it had the newest versions of both firmware and basband. It's safe to assume this is also the case with yours.

It can be jailbroken with redsn0w, although the jailbreak would be tethered. It can't be unlocked at this time.

20. LinMac macrumors 65816

You can just smell the sarcasm and lol. The only publicly verified untethered jailbreak for 4.2.1 is Monte. The rest I'm not so sure about. They might be exploits, but are they usable exploits?