How do I update an unlocked iPhone 4.3.5 to 5 then jailbreak it?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by PrincessFishie, Jan 2, 2012.

1. PrincessFishie macrumors newbie

PrincessFishie

Hello people of the forum! Happy new year!! :D

I would like to know how to go about updating my mom's iPhone from 4.3.5 to 5 so it can be untethered and keep the unlock? She has been asking me to do it for her but there was only a tethered jailbreak for 4.3.5. Now I am seeing there is an untethered jailbreak for iOS5 and I would like to get it done for her. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

2. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

Correct me if I am wrong, I believe your phone phone is unlocked with Gevey Sim which it has baseband of 04.10.

There isn't an untethered jailbreak for OS5. It is for 5.0.1. However, I heard conflicting information about Gevey sim relates to 5.0.1 with older baseband. Some said it works, some said it doesn't. So, my recommendation is to stay at 4.3.5 for now.

If you mom's phone has the old baseband 01.59, then you can upgrade it to 5.0.1 using customs firmware and unlock it with ultrasn0w.

3. PrincessFishie thread starter macrumors newbie

PrincessFishie

Hi. Yup it is on 04.10 baseband and I do not know how she unlocked it. I most believe she got it done somewhere because I did not do it. So I should leave it as it is then? Because she is terrible with computers and if I do a tethered jailbreak and her phone dies (most likely to happen) she will be totally lost.

4. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

Yup... Leave it as is. If you pop the sim tray on her phone out, you will see a Gevey sim in there.