Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Marty!

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 14, 2012
Hi there,

I have an AT&T 32gb iPhone 4S running iOS 5.1...I never updated to iOS 6 because I didn't want to lose Google Maps.

About a week ago, I downloaded but did not install iOS 6.1.3 (I think that's the version) but didn't install it because I wanted to see the reviews for iOS 7 first. Well, I've seen enough feedback on iOS 7 to make me wary, for at least a little while longer.

I now want to update to iOS 6, but whenever I click Restore in iTunes, it goes out and checks and tells me iOS 7 is available and do want to download. Of course clicking Cancel stops the operation.

I still have the "iPhone4,1_6.1.3_10B329_Restore" file on my Windows 7 PC. Is there any way to force iTunes to use this file to Restore (I want to do a clean install) my iPhone?

Thanks in advance for any assistance!

Marty!

Chris1W

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2013
back-up your files first

open itunes, press and hold "shift" on your keyboard while clicking "restore", browse your ipsw file

quick, the authorization window won't last forever (I just restored an iPad 3 to 6.1.3, a few minutes ago)

zBoost

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2013
You did it just in time, 4s works very good with 6.1.3 and you will be happy with it.

YanniDepp

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2008
You don't want singing windows.

I live in an old building. When the wind hits my windows, they moan, whistle and sing.

IPHONEMIA

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2014
So, can an iphone 4s with IOS 6.1.2 be updated to IOS 6.1.3 now and how?
Or only to IOS 7.0.4?
How different is IOS 6.1.2 to IOS 6.1.3 as far as applications, wifi and other practical issues are concerned?

Noxide400

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2011
Bump. I know apple is not signing anymore. But I need something to go from 5.xx to 6.xx on iPhone 4s. If anyone knows. Thanks.

Noxide400

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2011
Ehh worth a try. I know ifaith has a custom firmware creator for iPhone 4 but it doesn't work for 4s. I do have the SHSH blob for the 4s as well. Oh well.

RoyalElephant

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2013
I always wonder why Apple do this. Why do they feel the need to force people to upgrade to the latest version. Encourage it by all means but iOS 7 runs so badly on my iPad 3 I would go back to 6 despite the dated UI. I've been holding out for months now and they still haven't fixed anything. Very disappointing really. Very Samsung of them I must say.

I seem to remember that iOS 4 ran so baldy on the iPhone 3G they had to keep signing 3.1.3 for that device.

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
I always wonder why Apple do this. Why do they feel the need to force people to upgrade to the latest version. Encourage it by all means but iOS 7 runs so badly on my iPad 3 I would go back to 6 despite the dated UI. I've been holding out for months now and they still haven't fixed anything. Very disappointing really. Very Samsung of them I must say.

I seem to remember that iOS 4 ran so baldy on the iPhone 3G they had to keep signing 3.1.3 for that device.

They're not forcing anyone to do anything.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
They're not forcing anyone to do anything.
When the choice is to stay with iOS 6 and a big security hole or go to iOS 7 to fix that security hole (or perhaps jailbreak, although the security fix there might still not be quite the same as the real one from Apple), it seems like using "forcing" to describe that kind of a "choice" wouldn't be inappropriate.

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
When the choice is to stay with iOS 6 and a big security hole or go to iOS 7 to fix that security hole (or perhaps jailbreak, although the security fix there might still not be quite the same as the real one from Apple), it seems like using "forcing" to describe that kind of a "choice" wouldn't be inappropriate.

So if people are sick of Apple "forcing" them to update, why won't they jailbreak and install the patch? They keep iOS 6 and have all the freedom in the world.

goobot

macrumors 603
Jun 26, 2009
long island NY

Apple never had signing for iOS 3.1.3 for iPhone 3g.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
So if people are sick of Apple "forcing" them to update, why won't they jailbreak and install the patch? They keep iOS 6 and have all the freedom in the world.
Well, as I mentioned, it's still not the same thing as the full patch from Apple, and it requires jailbreaking, which not everyone wants to do as that can have some potential consequences as well. But, even if people do decide to do that, seems like Apple is still then "forcing" them to do something beyond what they already had or should have--an official iOS 6 release that doesn't have a huge security hole in it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.