How do I upgrade to the new iPhone?? New line easier?? Travel abroad??

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Crunch, Jun 26, 2008.

1. Crunch macrumors 6502

Crunch

Hi everyone...

So July 11 is coming closer. I want to do an exception upgrade, for which I've been approved already, and get the iPhone.

A few questions. I've never had an iPhone, so being that things have changed with it now being subsidized, etc., do I still have to have an iPhone-specific data plan?? I don't want my features and voice plan messed with AT ALL! The data plan doesn't matter to me.

I understand I will HAVE to go into a STORE to do this. Alright, I don't like that, but fine. I've read they will "unbrick" it there and activate it. What does unbricking mean? Can I make changes AFTER it has been "unbricked" and activated at a later point? I also travel frequently, so what, if any, hurdles are there going to be, next time I travel abroad?

And again, I don't want ANY of my features and especially my voice plan changed! Will that be necessary at all, and should I maybe get a 2nd line and do cancel it before 30 days, once everything works??

Anything else I'm overlooking??

Thanks so much. I'm a total iPhone n00b!! :)

2. WhySoSerious macrumors 65816

WhySoSerious

3. ipodtouchy333 macrumors 65816

LOL

Anyways, yes I'm pretty sure you will have to get the data plan along with a voice plan and some texts if you want. I'll let someone else answer the other questions.........

4. knelto macrumors regular

As far as I know, your voice plan should still be the same price. There isn't anything specific about voice with regards to the iPhone. Same with features, except for the fact that the old iPhone data plan came with 200 SMS texts, however the new one does not. But features in terms of M2M SMS or nights starting at 7pm or whatever, should still be the same as far as I know.

I don't know where you heard unbricking with regards to the 3G iPhone, but bricking dealt with 1st gen iPhones that were rendered useless (or 'bricked') due to hacking and modding interfering with iPhone updates (unbricking being the revival of a bricked iPhone). With iPhone 3G the term I think you're looking for is activation. Once it's activated, yes you can make changes to your account, at least you could on the 1st gen iPhone.

As for traveling, standard phone things apply I'd guess. Data roaming is expensive and I have no idea how voice minutes work as I've never had to use my account out of the US.

Hope that helped some!

5. Crunch thread starter macrumors 6502

Crunch

Anybody???????

So noone wants to "pop my cherry" as someone put it so eloquently? lol...What kind of club is this? I would have really liked an answer to my question. :rolleyes:

I pre-qualified myself at a corporate store today, and I won't even have to stand in line for one minute haha...I didn't know the hot chick I was charming relentlessly in order to get my darn iPhone was the store's Manager! With some serious pull at that, it appears! So I decided to do up a second line, kill it off after a week, and go on my merry way with that 3G beauty. She even gave me her PERSONAL cell phone number, just "in case I have any more questions." haha...Looks like that darn thing through the beauty of several co-incidental circumstances might get me laid. Now THAT's a phone! hahah...

I would get pre-qual'd everyone. That 7-minute hold time to get my 2nd line approved will take 37 come Friday. And I made sure, for iPhone and other reasons :)D), that she will be there on Friday. I would get a "go-to" person. Just my humblest of opinions. ;)

This is gonna be FUN!