How do I use Airport to wirelessly send Itunes music to my HI FI?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Marky, Jan 4, 2005.

  1. Marky macrumors regular

    Jan 4, 2005
    Ok, apologies in advance but this is all totally new to me and I'm not quite understanding it!! :)

    I've just bought my Ipod :)

    I'm filling up my Itunes with all my CD's etc.

    I like the idea of being able to control my music collection from my computer, and 'transmit' my music wirelessly from the PC to my HiFi.

    PC is upstairs, Hi Fi is downstairs.

    My PC is not unfortunately an Apple, but a windows PC.

    edited to add: PC is a Desktop PC not a Laptop

    I beleive, from what i've read so far, that I need to purchase Airport Express and connect it to the HiFi.

    Ok - that far I understand -

    Now, I also beleive that for Airport express to work, then my PC needs to be WIFI capable.

    However my PC, is not currently WI FI capable.

    How do I 'cheaply' and easily make it WI FI capable?
    (eventually I may want to hook up my Broadband internet connection as well)

    Don't know if it makes a difference but I live in the UK.

    Finally can I please just check my understanding of the process involved?

    I need to connect somekind of WIFI device to my PC, as it's this that will enable the Airtunes software to 'transmit' my music collection in Itunes to the Airport Express device thats connected to my HI FI?

    Again apologies and also kindest regards
  2. Koodauw macrumors 68040


    Nov 17, 2003
    Yep, your pretty much right on. You need to get a WiFi card/transmitter for you Computer. If it is a desktop, you should look into a USB one, if its a laptop, I would say go with a PCMCIA Wifi card.

    Linksys and Netgear make good cards, although they might cost you a bit more than others. I dont know what they cost over seas, or where a good place to buy one would be, but any halfway decent computer store should be able to get you set up with one.
  3. jaseone macrumors 65816


    Nov 7, 2004
    Houston, USA
    Have you got a laptop or a desktop PC?

    If a laptop then you need to get a PCMCIA WiFi card where with a desktop you'll need a PCI WiFi card, then along with the AirPort express you should be able to connect the two (pretty sure that would work).

    Traditionally though you would have an extra piece of equipment called a wireless router that would connect to your broadband internet connection then that would be used as a hub to control all the connections.
  4. honeytoast macrumors regular

    Sep 15, 2004
    bay area, CA
    the airport express will work as your wifi router
  5. Mertzen macrumors 6502


    Sep 25, 2004
    Better get a PCI one if it is a desktop .. USB is too slow for 802.11G and even limits 802.11B ..

Share This Page